2

Danny
35

iPod disabled for 21+ million minutes (can't restore)

So the other day i just randomly pickup up my ipod, and it showed the lock screen that typically shows up when someone guesses the wrong password too many times except this time it read "Ipod is disabled, try again in 21,741,428 minutes." now the last thing i wanna do is wait 40 years to use my ipod again. Now I know the common solution to this problem is to simply restore it, but the problem is that i have not backed up any of my files, or synced it to any computer yet. I havn't had it too long, and have just been buying songs off the device. The last thing i wanna do is loose all the money i had put into it by restoring, and erasing the files. when I try to pull it up on itunes is says, "itunes cannot connect with ipod because it is locked please enter code and try again." I've been told to take it in to the apple store. can they do anything? please help!

Edited by: qpunk ( ) , Danny ( )

I plugged it in, enabled hidden files, and the ipod didn't show up on my computer atall. what should i do? p.s. (im using a PC with Windows 7)

Danny,

what can i do to unlock my ipod

Thompson Dooley,

What have you tried?

Danny, if you found a solution to this; please tell me. I'm having the same problem.

mmafighter88,

5

Danny, the only way that I know how to do that is in the Windwos environment. Not sure how to do it with a Mac OS. There is a way to erase the password without erasing your files. Plug in your iPod. Open My Computer (or Computer for Vista). Click on Folder options and enable to view hidden files. Next go to iPod_control and click on the folder named Device. If your iPod is locked, there will be a file _locked . Rename the file to _unlocked. Remove your iPod and it should be cleared. This is the only way that I am aware off, other then a total restore where you will of course lose your data. Good Luck and let us know if it works.

Danny,

Danny try the Apple "solution" first http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538 and see if that makes a difference and just to clarify.It did work before, right? your computer did see the iPod before all this happened?

3

Nick

Put it in DFU mode and restore it

To do this, plug in the iPod to the computer, reset the iPod by holding Home and reset together, and let go of the power button until it is in DFU/Recovery mode

If you want to do this,check for a backup or sync what you want on the iPod/iPhone/iPad if possible

Edited by: Nick ( )

2

Will Budney

If you bought the songs from the iTunes store then all of your music is okay and you just have to re-download it on your phone. The songs are linked to your account. So if you sign in on itunes and go to the store, you should see a list of purchased songs. If you didn't purchase from the iTunes store I would try previous answers.

1

Chris
499

I have seen relative success with Apple's support staff being understanding off such issues and allowing you to essentially re-download your music onto another device (preferably this time a computer).

1

rob
13

no the problem is my computer was stolen and i have baby pictures on my i pod that was the only thing that was not stolen and i cant replace them im locked out for 13 years i would like to get some help to get them back without restoring my i pod

0

christianvaldez1
7

hold power button and home button for 10 seconds with itunes open, after ten seconds let go power button and keep holding home for another 10 sec. after that your ipod will appear in itunes ready to be restored...(only ipod touch or iphone)

That is DFU mode as previously suggested by nicksmacandpchelp

that was my suggestion, -

Nick,

that is what I said...:-)

0

Thomas
37

There are ways of getting in and out of recovery without a restore... ( I think if I remember right you go into dfu and then do the steps in reverse)

Sounds more like a prank app to me though....

You can try (but I dont know what this will do) getting your phone into force restore mode and then taking it out- its pretty dangerous though but it saved me from restoring mine. 1. Press and hold the home button and the sleep/wake button. (the power off option will appear, ignore it) 2. When the apple logo appears let go of the sleep/wake button (keep holding the home button.) 3. After a few seconds you should see the connect to iTunes image (you can now let go of the home button.) then follow the steps in reverse to get out WARNING: THIS MAY NOT WORK AND COULD RESORT IN RESTORING THE IPOD AS A LAST RESORT

Thomas,

0

dcIII
1

Hey I had the same problem and all i did was hook it up to my computer, open the files onmy computer [windows] and it worked. Not profound, but works. My name is danny too and i feel for you bro

0

kres
1

Kindly please help that how to open ipod_control files..as in my case its iphone 3Gs which is jailborken unlocked and never been backup to my pc. I dunt want to lose my data and can I take it our from being disables for millions of minuts :(

0

Bakerly
1

If you encrypt an iPod touch backup on iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

.

0

sebastian ochoa
1

Use redsn0w for restore that is similar like happens with my iPod 3 gen so I restore with redsn0w and without problems I restore it

Use redsn0w that is like happen with my iPod 3 but my is 22 million I fix it restoring with redsn0w and without problems am already using my iPod only you most put your iPod on DFU mode and download the ipsw and restore and use your iPod maybe you lose your files but you can use your iPod again without wait 40 years XD

Edited by: sebastian ochoa ( )

0

MN1335
1

Ok, this problem is serious. But this is relatively simple, just go to recovery mode. Make sure your iPod is plugged charging. Hold the home and lock button. The screen should go black, and when the Apple loge comes up, release the lock button. Hole the home button until the thing tells you to connect to iTunes. Connect to iTunes, and wait. iTunes should say "iTunes cannot connect to your iPod touch because it is in recovery mode" or something like that. After this, just simply hit "restore".. It should start restoring the stuff or resetting everything like new.

0

Amandad
1

If you encrypt an iPad backup on iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

0

bingbongmahdingdong
1

I know this question is ridiculously old but i thought i'd post this simply for anyone else who comes across this issue. I ran in to this issue with my son's iPod. His time on his phone was 22,987,898 minutes. So roughly 43 years...

All I had to do was hook it to the computer that I last synced it to and hit sync. It then stated that the passcode was required. I hit the home button on the phone and it was back to the passcode screen. I put the code in and was good to go.

There is no need to do DFU mode or any of that. No need to wipe it or even lose your jailbreak if you have it. It just loads right up.

You do have to make sure it's the computer you originally synced it with. A different computer doesn't seem to work. I tried that first.

0

Siddhartha Runwal
1

Worked Excellently Thanks For The Supports

0

kurtwolford
1

if the warranty is still valid you can send it in to apple to fix for free :I

0

Ephraim Yurowitz
1

I don't recall who said it first, but holding both buttons down at first, then only the home button, with iTunes open, put me into a Restore iPod page on iTunes. Thirty seconds later it was factory reset. Thanks!

0

Mason Schmidgall
13

These solutions would work but I found a better one. Waiting. See I had the same problem myself and all I did was wait 24 hours and it automatically fixed itself. Also I would like to say that formatting your ipod does not delete your purchases. If you format your ipod then sign in with your Apple ID, then you should be able to download your music/apps you already purchased free of charge. In the iTunes Store just go to More (...) -> purchased -> select the media you want to download and bam you have your content free of extra charges. If you go to the App Store just go Updates -> Purchased And go from there. (Please note that some save data for the apps will be lost after format unless the app was compatable with iCloud)

0

Sabrina
1

Wow.. I was sitting here looking for answers because I also was having that problem (disabled ipod).. so while I was researching what everybody else said. I plugged my ipod to the computer and turned it off. Thinking I was going to have a Whole lot to do I braced myself for being "Frustrated". Lol. But when my ipod came back on it asked for a password and went back to normal! .. so basically all I had to do was 1. Turn it off 2. Plug to computer 3. Turn back on while plugged to computer. 4.enter password And whoolah!

0

maddy
1

i am having the same exact problems so when i read this i was hoping for some answers so will somebody please help me i have been locked out for almost two months. please help

This Month: 2,383