0

brian
1

iPhone 4 screen is black after replacement

I replaced the iphone 4 GSM digi/lcd combo. Turned it on...the screen is black, has anyone else run into this? How do i repair it? I have tried 2 new digi/lcd units.

I can hear sounds and it receives calls...and i can see the back light on the black....

please help.

thanks

Edited by: Walter Galan ( )

Is your problem solved yet?

iPhone Herstellen,

3

Garry
865

First, inspect the cable for the LCD to make sure it did not tear when pulling through the frame. Next, inspect the connector on the board and the part to ensure there is no plastic or other debris in the way of a solid connection.

You may also want to try and reset the device by holding the sleep/wake and home button at the same time until it turns on with an apple logo (or the backlight you mentioned).

2

luis
25

I had the same problem. This is how I fixed it.

Remove the LCD cables, Place some windex on a napkin, wipe the connectors. There might be some windex left on the connectors, so get a dry napkin and dry off. Make sure you put back the conncetors correctly and it should work. It did for me. I only removed the battery to avoid a short circuit. and the plate that covers the LCD connector so you dont have to tear the whole thing apart. GOOD LUCK. Hope this helps some of you.

2

Carlos Ruiz
25

I recommend connecting your old screen back on your phone. If old works, then new one is faulty and needs to be returned to vendor.

0

Christian Chantell
1

RESET THE PHONE!!!

I had the same problem... Reset and now its all back to normal... Thanks Garry!!!

0

muhammed
1

This is the problem for the display connecter.

0

Scott Head

Resetting the phone is your best bet. You can do this by holding down the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time for about 5-7 seconds.

You can also simply disconnect and then reconnect the battery. We have to do this quite a lot when testing LCDs internally.

0

geovan81
1

Hey everyone i had the same problem, the lcd is damaged bottom line. I had 2 lcd replacement one was the lcd with the digitizer and the other one was just the lcd both new. the one with the digitizer & lcd gave me the black screen, when I tried the solo lcd it worked as it should. So just get a refund or exchange

0

Iain
13

Yes I had this too, you need to replace the backlight IC.

0

tolgar
25

If you guys replace it with the iPhone 4 LCD Touch Screen Digitizer that is pre-assembled, it will never occur the problem

0

Sean
1

So after trying the 2 LCD's that didnt work. I decided to cut my losses and just throw the old broken LCD back in and sell it on eBay as a broken device for parts and just report the problems that it was having. To my amazement it fired right up with no display problems at all. I guess it was just an extremely unlikely coincidence that I had two screens that were duds in a row, (I've done 40+ screen replacements and these were the only duds I've ever encountered.)

I know that I'm not the first person to mention this in this thread, but if you are having this problem I would highly suggest trying the original LCD back in it just to see if you have a bad screen.

0

JeremyDunworth
1

The same as a poster above, I had the same problem. This is how I fixed it.

With the back of the phone open, disconnect the battery (step 5), remove the wifi antenna (step 13 and 14) and then disconnect the LCD and digitizer cables (step 17). I sprayed some windex onto a clean, thin cotton rag, like the kind you can buy in boxes at Home Depot, and gently wiped both sides of the LCD and digitizer connectors. I then reattached LCD and digitizer cables and battery and back case, and the screen fired up. This worked after multiple attempts at reassembly without using the windex, so the light application of windex seemed to be the trick.

Two other things, on this reassembly, I had a lot of difficulty getting the LCD connector to snap into place, I suspect that on earlier attempts I may not have had the connector aligned and connected correctly.

Second, on this reassembly, I was in a rush and only tightened the wifi antenna enough to hold it in place, I did not crank down on the screws that hold the wifi antenna. This might have also affected the LCD connection, if I had been overtightening before.

GOOD LUCK. Hope this helps some of you.

0

Nick
1

0

spattispano
1

if my iphone 4s replaced the screen to a new one, and all functions they it work again same as new one, beacuse i incounter in my old iphone chage a screen after fitted the wifi connection they doesnt work and notthing to work it again. do you thing my iphone 4s if they change the screen it will be work all function at the same time. please give some advice for that situation, thank you very much for your good advice.

Edited by: spattispano ( )

0

Lix Bacskay
1

I have the same problem with my iPhone 4S display, except that my new screen worked perfectly for about 5 weeks after replacement. Then it went to the black/grey screen after I turned it off one day.

We took it apart again and re-seated everything, it came back on. It did the same thing again a couple of weeks later when I turned the phone off. We re-assembled again and it came back.

Now the 3rd time (I had planned not to turn it off again, but I unfortunately let it go flat), we can't get it to come back.

I've tried the hard reset. I've reseated the cables, they seem to be sitting perfectly straight and level and go in with a satisfying little 'click'. I've tried restoring to factory settings in iTunes. I've tried the Windex trick. All to no avail this 3rd time.

What seems really strange is that it was working perfectly after the replacement for weeks, but now the display goes to grey/black when the phone is restarted. The iphone still operates, but it's useless with the black/grey screen.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I'm reluctant to buy another new display as I know this one was working. Any ideas?

0

fawn
1

I've had the same problem. My phone was absolutely fine, till I smashed the screen. It still worked fine, I just obviously couldn't see properly due to the broken glass. So I went to get a new screen put on, and it was fine and dandy for about a week - then the screen went completely black. But it was still receiving text messages and phone calls. I took it back to the guy who fixed it, he opened it up and played around with it and it turned back on. Sure enough, it only lasted a week - now it's back to black and useless. Super annoying, did the guy tear a cable or something? Is it even worth fixing? I'm lost and have tried everything.

0

t00xxxyk
1

it works for me with downgrade from 5.0.1 to 4.3.3, on Iphone4 :),this is the problem,the new display dont accept any version of ios!!!!

0

shaik mastan
1

I replaced my iphone 4 with the new display screen. I followed all the instructions all the cables are fit i checked it twice. But when i try to trun on i could not see anything just a black screen. When i pulged in to charge i can hear a beep sound. I wondered whether i damaged some hardware so i went back to change with my older screen then everything works fine with the broken screen but not with the new screen. Can you please tell me what might the problem is, the problem is with the new display or something else has to be done?. need help thanxx.

I even tried pressing the home button and power button together for 10-12 seconds but still doesnt work.

shaik mastan,

0

Mandy
1

Okay so I tried everything I could think of but nothing worked. I have a 4s and the screen was broken, so I replaced it with a new one. went to turn on and nothing, the only thing that comes on is the back light, So I tried a hard reset still nothing,then I connected the old screen back on, and again nothing. I took the phone and connected it to iTunes and itunes recognize the phone. I don't see anything physical wrong with the logic board. But I'm at the point where I'm scratching my head. Has anyone else had this same problem?

0

JeremyDunworth
1

Mandy, your symptoms sound similar to mine. Have you tried cleaning the LCD connector with a light application of Windex, as in this post above from Luis:

I also posted similar info above with a few other tips.

0

Briguy
1

Hi guys, my iphone 4s is in a similar condition. I self-repaired the screen and everything fired up normally, then a few weeks later it went into the black/grey screen described by all of you. The repair took about 5 hours, as I was very cautious with ensuring all components were connected appropriately and cautiously.

I actually took the phone to the Apple store to have them look at it. First time around the worker said that nothing could be done, so I went back a few hours later. The second person was more tech savvy, and he got the phone back up and running. He mentioned that the phone screen appeared to be replaced, and mentioned that some of the connections appeared to be loose and slightly damaged. As I mentioned, I had been very gentle with this repair, as I assume most of you were as well. However, these are very delicate connections and potentially we have damaged our connections during the repair. This could be caused both at the LCD/digitizer end, or on the board. I notice no one has mentioned that a board replacement may be the fix for this. I am considering purchasing a replacement board to ensure that this isn't caused by a slightly damaged connection on the board side. I suggest using slight magnification to inspect both the board side and LCD/digitizer side of all of your connections for any damage to ensure that your iphone problems aren't being caused by damaged hardware.

Hope this helps a few of you out there in Internetland!

0

Mandy
1

Yes I did clean the connector but still no change :(

0

Charles Remensnyder
1

Hello everyone, my name is Kurt and have ran into this some problem 2 times in a row with the screen turning up blank w/ the back light on n iPhone functioning normally after a complete repair replacing that LCD-digitizer assembly.

Both different customers in a row one a 4G n one a 4s, both have there iPhones screens damaged from being dropped. With both there iPhone batteries completely dead n had to charge them.

Both times the screen showed a low battery indication icon.

The first person the battery had no charge n showed a low battery indication with the broken screen on still, guy just wanted has screen changed.

The phone apparently was already previously taken apart before me.

I proceeded like normal to replace the full screen. I got a blank screen

I tried three good screens on it, still the same problem with it.

I tied and did everything listed here except testing the IC and nothing worked.

I read about IC thing in ones posting n will looking to that and is full role in the iPhone 4.

I really inspected the M-board w/ a magnifying glass n it was fine.

The second person had also attempted a screen replacement on his, and succeeded up to the point of placing the back cover on with just a few screws missing n misplace. His condition was it dropped, broke his screen n bought a new screen on eBay, did the repair n got a blue type of screen he told me.

He could not fully get it back together, along with the problem, let is sat for 10days before calling me to look at it.

I looked at it tried to turn it on but nothing on the screen, I disconnected the battery n charger of course, disconnected the LCD digitizer connectors while it was still together, and connected a completely new screen assembly, put the battery contact back in plugged the charger in, n sure enough the low battery indicator on the screen came on, I waited and the apple logo started up like normal n the phone worked.

After that I turned it off, disconnected the battery & proceeded to install the screen in and after the assembly process I had it to getter n the screen turned up blank w/ the back light on n the iPhone functioning.

I also did everything as the procedure and steps to finding to mistake n problem w/ the blank screen problem. I literally read all the posts here up to my posting now and have done everything listed here to solve it and nothing.

I also have an iPhone 4s that is a black listed Verizon n use that for testing screens.

I just recently encountered an almost similar problem but the screen stayed white for a second after powering it up and the apple logo came up as normal, as I disconnected it and reconnected it the screen was flickering like a bad tv channel jumping with lines.

That there was a loose connection because it stopped as I played with the connection for the LCD part, digitizer was fine the whole time.

I took a video of it while the screen was jumping and everything.

Sorry I made this posting too long, but tried to be descriptive as possible to help in greater details, in hoping my exp will help others to add up the cause of this problem.

Personally I think the new version iPhones do this but then again I have taken well over 50-60 iPhone 4 n 4s es apart and fixing them, I have never damage any mother boards or any parts but one flex cable for the digitizer on an iPhone 4G when first starting out.

I have taken my very first iphone 4g apart over 10 times to use as testing parts in some cases, yes my own iPhone at the time, and never saw this issue once till recently with other people's iPhones.

I truly n strongly think it is software related in my case n in some other cases as well.

Ps: There is a thing with the screen being but on while the iphone is powered on. The LCD screen will not register the display to come on till u turn it off n then back on again To restart it.

I hope all this adds to help to the pile of the mysterious blank screen problem that a lot people are getting now.

Edited by: Charles Remensnyder ( )

-2

Christian Chantell
1

Just RESET the phone (press and hold the home and power buttons for about 10 seconds and then let them go. Then press and hold the power button for about 2 seconds to turn it on)... As I said earlier.

This Month: 1,634