1

sotonic
13

No Contrast, Display is too bright but not white

I got two 3G both had an moisture damage (red indicator). In one, the display was defective (backlight). I have both 3g equipped with new LCDs (which works perfect in another 3g).

But in those two 3g the Diplays are much too bright and have no contrast = black turns to light gray.

What could this be?

Here's a comparison. Left with error, right OK

Another Picture

I have cleaned both LCP FPC connectors with a glass fiber pen. No more visible corrosion deposits on it. Do the same below the metal shielding.

The boards were not completly in an isopropanol bath but partially cleaned with ISO .... would be an option.

Does anyone know the exact pin assignment of the LCD connector? Could then search more specific....

Edited by: osvaldo, machead3, mayer, and oldturkey03 ( ) , sotonic ( )

as luck would have it someone posted this....http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/52829...

pollytintop,

Hi Sotonic, I am having the same exact problem with an iPhone 3G that got wet. As I was examining connector 1, I realized that on the LCD cable, one pin is missing. Photo (notice the 1st pin on the top right). According to this HQ photo of a new LCD cable, there should be a pin there. I was planning to purchase an LCD replacement and try to fix it but I then read on your post that you have already tried a new LCD and didn't fix the issue... Have you had any luck finding a solution to the problem? Thanks

Kostas,

No, the solution of the problem I have not found yet. But there is an missing Contact on your Display, so I would try it with the screen replacement. Does not cost the world. Perhaps in my 3G the same contact is broken onto the board = other Location of damage but Same effect.

sotonic,

i have the same problem after changing the touch screen with a new one. Do you know where is the problem?

mkattos,

One more person with the problem. I must have screwed up something when I put them all back together after replacing the home button....I plan on going back and trying it again. BTW - I have a black blotch on the lcd - about 5mm. Does this mean the LCD is gone?

umesh,

3

pollytintop

i'd examine the connector 1 on both boards for signs of corrosion. try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush, if that doesn't solve your problem and you have cleaned under the metal shield too, then you may need to have the connectors replaced.

0

christina hansson
1

I just replaced my screen and hot this error too. Feel so bad because I was so careful :( This was a Iphone 4 though.. any luck guys?

0

Lars Christian
1

Try "Night web browser by Alex"! I'm often using it in the evening when my girlfriend is trying to sleep. It dims the screen much more then iPhone normally can. :)