4

michelle
59

iPod is disabled connect to itunes

So far I have tried putting the ipod in recovery mode to restore it thru itunes, but unfortunately neither my computer or itunes is recognizing the ipod. i bought the ipod off ebay thinking i could fix it since i am pretty computer smart but i have been searching and trying for 5 hours to fix the ipod and have gotten no where. can someone please help. i'm beyond frustrated and this is a really nice ipod. it shows very little wear in my opinion. please help???????????

Edited by: michelle ( )

michelle, what does the iPod do at this time? Does it turn on? Does it display anything on the screen?

+ for the in depth responses.. stick with it, oldturkey has lots of experience and tristan has been very helpful too. hope all goes well and welcome to ifixit! it's nice to see another lady doing the repairs! jen

pollytintop,

3

Tristan
514

you will have to put your iPod into DFU Mode and Restore:

1. Connect your iPod to your computer
  2. Turn your iPod off
  3. For 10 seconds, hold both the Home and Power buttons
  4. While still holding the home button down, release the power button only! Continue to hold the home button down for an additional 10 seconds.
  5. After the dialog box explaining that the iPod was found in recovery mode has been closed, restore your iPod

If iTunes does not recognize the iPod, then you should reinstall iTunes

This video should help you get into DFU Mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITIiGswj...

I tried the above and it still didn't work. neither the computer or itunes is recognizing the ipod. this is a used ipod that i bought off ebay as is. i'm still at a loss. any additional thoughts

michelle,

It sounds like your iTunes drivers are not working correctly, to fix this reinstall iTunes, and if it still does not work try it on a different computer.

Tristan,

also, after you reinstall, you can watch this video for additional help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT8Utk5T...

Tristan,

unfortunately i have tried everything above and nothing is working. i found tys video as well. i am wondering if something is wrong with the usb port on the ipod. could that be possible? the ipod seems to be charging very slowly as well. i'm hoping this is something i can fix or i'm out the money i spent on ebay......grrrrrrr lol

michelle,

i cant thank you enough, you have been a big help. don't worry i will never hesitate to ask - that is the best way i learn. i'm pretty tech savy when i set my mind to it and the best way i learn is hands on. again, ty so much for your help

michelle,

2

michelle, you did not tell us what the iPod does. It all shows up on the LCD etc. Starts up okay? Does not charge and is not recognized could originate from your dock connector. First make sure that you have a good USB cable. Then make sure that you plug your ipod into a USB port that comes directly of the motherboard. no Hub or anything. Also try to charge your ipod on a wall charger. Sometimes when the battery is to depleted it will not accept a charge and will not be recognized by your computer. So that would be a good thing to replace. This way you would at least have a good starting point. If this did not resolve the issue, check your dock connector. Make sure that you clean it well and check for corrosion, debris and bents contacts. If so, it can be replaced. PITA and needs soldering. When you have it apart look the logic board over for any corrosion, broken contacts, bad cable connections, bad connectors. I prefer to use a magnifying light for that. After that you can clean the board with isopropyl alcohol (use the 90+% talk to your local pharmacist about it) and a toothbrush and clean the logic board thoroughly. I might have forgotten a step or twp but at least this will give you a start. Good Luck and let us know how it is going and if you need further help.

thank you very much that was kind of what i was thinking i need to do. i know the cable is good as it is from my other working ipod, so i agree i think it may be the dock connector. i have tried charging it thru the computer usb and just a regular charger as well and its charging but its not really showing the icon that says its charging. sorry if i wasnt more in depth. i was just kind of going off what i know so far. i am trying to get into repairing ipods on a regular basis and figured i would start with what i thought was an easy one. the person who sold it just said it was disabled and when i found tys video i'm like, wow this is an easy fix.....joke's on me so far it's not...lol can you tell me will it be difficult for someone at my level of just starting out to change out the dock connector? i really appreciate everyone's input and i have this site book marked now mainly bc everyone is so nice and helpful and that really means alot to me, so thank you once again and i will keep everyone updated.

michelle,

michelle, its not very difficult but you will have to learn how to solder and the dock connector is a tricky one. Lots of fine soldering. Invest in a good soldering iron and definitely a magnifying lamp. All the information that you will need to learn is on here and there is no substitute for reading, studying and doing it. It's tough getting easy repairable iPods from eBay since more and more of them are jailbroken and failed multiple attempts of repair by multiple people. So you never really know what you are getting. DO not forget to check your local pawn shops, craigslist etc. of course that depends on your geographical location. Personally I like the older iPods, easier to repair and not to many people messing with those since the profit margin is way less. Ipod and iPhone repair can get pretty intense as you will find out by reading through some of the questions. Good luck and do not hesitate to ask, there are some very knowledgeable people on here that are always helpful.

+ upvote, just for the sheer effort

mayer,

Here is a link to a video that gives you an idea what you are looking at. The video is a 2nd gen so this is just for information. The connector that you need is available here but I am sure you can find it cheaper by looking a little better then I just did

0

Mohamed Sorie Dumbuya
1

iTunes sofrtware updates is needed

0

nazim shakil
1

my ipod touch is disabled connect to itunes

plaese my enable

nazim shakil,