0

besweeet
1

Found cracked 3GS - Is it dead?

I found a 3GS in the trash today. The screen was cracked very badly. The phone wouldn't turn on, and it wouldn't get detected by my computer either.

So, I took it apart to see how things looked on the inside. Everything honestly looks great. There are 2 watermarker stickers. One's white, and the other one's pink (the one nearest the headphone jack is the pink one). Other than that, everything on the inside looks fine. Everything is connected perfectly, yet it doesn't want to turn on or do anything...

Any ideas?

Here are some images (1 | 2 | 3 | 4).

I was told that I could get it to work as long as I can get a working front panel installed, and a new battery. Is this possible?

Edited by: oldturkey03, rj713, and mayer ( )

"found" phones belong to someone.... You'll probably find the imei is barred if you get it to work

pollytintop,

I can get a working and reliable battery and display assembly for $4.99 and $19.99 respectively. I have someone sending me some parts so I can diagnose where the problem might lie. I'm assuming the logic board is dead, but we'll see.

besweeet,

2

pollytintop

taking a look at your photo's (which are excellent quality btw) you've got water sensor triggered near the power ic top left of the board but it all looks clean and pretty intact.. i take it you've been and cleaned? the only iffy spot I could see is the obvious damage to the wifi chip shield on the back of the motherboard. I'd wait and see how that goes.

You may be quite lucky and get away with just a new battery (if it's been out in the weather/bin it's sort of a must) and new display. once you've done that you'll be able to see what's wrong. the only difficulty you're going to run in to is if the company or insurance have put a block on this phone.

Thanks. I had someone send me a working iPhone 3GS. I swapped out the working logic board with my dead one, and it wouldn't power on. Oh well. I might get some new parts, but those can be pricey.

besweeet,

1

Josh
1k

It's an "iffy" situation since one of the liquid sensors was tripped. There are some good instructions lying around for cleaning a water damaged iPhone.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/47763...

A new battery and display assembly would run you about $120 plus tax and shipping from iFixit.

iPhone 3GS Display Assembly

iPhone 3GS Replacement Battery

If you're feeling adventurous, let me know and i'll point you in the right direction for a takeapart.

iPhone 3GS Display Assembly

Includes touchscreen glass, integrated digitizer, LCD, ear piece speaker and home button. Replace a broken, cracked, or shattered iPhone 3GS display with this assembly. Compatible with all iPhone 3GS models. — 4 available at 69.95 each.

iPhone 3GS Replacement Battery

Replacement 1219 mAh battery for iPhone 3GS. Compatible with all iPhone 3GS models. Does not require soldering. — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

0

Luca Polpettini
1

buy a used one on ebay... it will be cheaper