0

Roger
1

What adhesive / glue is best for screen replacement?

I recently shattered the screen of my Motorola Atrix 4G. I purchased replacement screens (yes, multiple) from Global Direct Parts.

It works fine, except I must have pulled most of the adhesive off when pulling out the old screen. The new screen barely sticks down.

I realize standard glue is not appropriate here. What adhesive should be used to stick the new screen down, and where can it be purchased ?

Global Direct Parts looks like a nice place. Not only do they sell adhesives with their products, they sell a number of Apple parts too. I would recommend what ever you choose to use for an adhesive that you clean the old adhesive off and apply the new evenly. Digitizers work off of pressure and they feel the change in pressure almost as much from the back as they do from the front.

ABCellars,

Not an answer but an offer to buy one of those screens from you. My atrix screen cracked yesterday and I've been searching for replacements online. I've seen a few sites that sell them for $50-$60/each but I don't know how reputable they are (durapower, a-list technology).

swimh5,

swimh5 since you know it is not an answer, why not change it to a comment and attach it to the original question?

3

Steven Mercurio
37

Yohotown is an ebay store that sells double sided tape that is 2mm wide for this purpose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50M-3M-Adhesive-DOUB...

+ most adhesives you get with screens are just fancy double sided tape, not a glue as most people expect. I wouldn't recommend a superglue as jonjordan has for going anywhere near my digitiser etc.. if it fails again how on earth are you going to remove that??

pollytintop,

+ looks like nice stuff, made by 3m, I just ordered 1 to try it out. Good price on a 50m roll too.

ABCellars,

+ that is The Right Stuff

2

Justin
25

i found the 3m adhesive for the atrix here for $4.95

http://www.durapowerglobal.com/Motorola-...

1

Gehad Natour
13

i used clear silicone

0

mds33200
1

I wouldnt worry about the superglue sticking to the metal (for the people who say it would be tough to remove if you had to replace it again).

I would me more concerned thar 1. it wont hold at all, or will give way after getting bumped a few times, or 2. that the super glue could spill over past the edge of the glass when you set the new digitizer in place, causing it to show. 3. unless you put glue arround the entire frame, dust will still get in very easily.

0

Ryan Granger
1

I agree it seems best to avoid the super glue if possible. It's too runny to stay where you want it and usually turns a bit "chalky-white" & quite noticeable in contrast with the rest of the screen, lowering the overall appearance and value.

I haven't completed this project yet myself but I was going to look into silicon products. It seems that's what was used in the screen I pulled out to replace and it's reasonable to believe it would act as sufficient adhesive, remain more transparent than alternatives and possibly even be best for water resistance!

silicon works for aquariums and vehicle windows!

Ryan Granger,

0

stephenrocky
1

Superglue. ..really bad idea...

-1

jonjordan14
7

I like Loctite brand super glue which can be purchased at hardware stores and other locations where superglue is sold. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't necessarily want to use a superglue on a part that may have to be removed again(people are clumsy!)

pollytintop,

Please do stay away from super glue whenever you perform a repair like this. It will be a PITA for you if you will ever have to open or fix it again.