0

Kristin Albertson
1

Why is my washer making a scraping noise when it agitates?

Washer was working great until we moved, and now ever since then it makes that noise when it is in the agitates? We did not lay it on it's side, we used a dolly to move it to it's new location. I really need the help to fix! Everything else runs fine spins great and filled fine, just happens when it washes the clothes.

Edited by: Walter Galan ( )

had sears repair over today on same problem. ordered belt, cap and bearing going to run $200 to fix. its a maytag thats 8 yrs old and only used 2x per week so motor has a lot of life in it. i'm getting it fixed by sears. priced new washers today on line and at Home Depot. with tax and delivery/set up running $400. a fix is a bargain. btw i called maytag and they wanted $400 to replace belt.

Jamey,

3

rene wrigley
37

I had the same problem after I moved. I found out the cause was when I used a hand truck to move the machine it pushed the thin metal bottom of the machine up just enough to to contact the moving parts making a metal on metal grinding noise. I took the front panel off and pushed the metal back down- problem solved.

Thanks Rene. I had the same issue with my 1 year old GE Hydrowave upright HE washer and we came across this blog and decided to try your solution first after we just moved and had the Sam issue with a scraping noise when the agitator was active. It worked! The bottom was buckeled a little bit and my hubby took the bottom off and pushed it into shape. So far, so good. No more scraping. Thanks!

sherrylyle,

1

It could be the pump bearing. Tilt the washer back. Look underneath and take the belt off. The pulley on the pump is metal. try turning with your hand both ways. If it grinds that is problem.Sometimes something works it's way into the pump assembly, this will make a clicking or scraping noise. When the motor drive coupler starts to wear down, the washer may also become noisy. Also make sure that there is nothing between the agitator and the tub that could cause it to grind. Make sure your washer is leveled. http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/42wc... mayhelp you as well as http://www.applianceaid.com/direct.html good luck

0

dshedder1
13

There is a plastic cap on top of your agitator inside there are plastic "dawgs" that are rigid like a gear which grips the shaft when agitating. anyway they may have been bumped loose.there should be three or four in there. use one of those links that old turkey put in his reply to show you how to replace them.

0

hghjsln
1

direct drive, no belt or pulley.

go to sears parts with mo no and see breakdown.

worked on plenty of them. cant think what it would be.

'''direct drive, no belt or pulley.

worked on plenty of them. cant think what it would be.'''

THE WHOLE SKIN/OUTER CABINET COMES OFF TO WORK ON IT AND

TO SEE THE MECHANISM. START BY REMOVING 2 SCREWS THAT HOLD

CONTROL PANEL ON -- ONE ON EA END. LOOK AT BREAKDOWN!

Edited by: hghjsln ( )

0

Rhoberta Prosser
1

Rene you really helped me!!!!! My hot point washer was making a loud noise when agitating after we moved it with a hand truck. I took the bottom off and reformed the thin metal bottom and the noise stopped. You guys saved me lots and lots of $$$$$