1

codyandreasen
13

Red lines on display where black should be.

My display has red artifacting where the darkest blacks should be.

When I hook up to external display there is no lines, everything looks as it should. If I shut the computer down for the night, when I first start it again, the display is fine but within minutes the lines are back.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6519/...

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7754/...

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/359/i...

From what I've read online, because the problem doesn't appear on external displays, it likely isn't the logic board.

I just opened it up and saw no apparent damage to the display cable connection to the logic board. I took apart the display and removed the display cable and could see no physical damage to that, either. The cable is wrapped in tape, however.

Is it possible that it's a bad display cable and only that needs to be replaced?

I did drop the computer about a year ago but haven't had any problems until this started a few weeks ago.

Edited by: codyandreasen ( )

Did you figure out what caused the problem? My MacBook Pro has the exact symptoms you described all of a sudden...

Scott Trimble,

Still haven't figured out the cause but I've kind of stopped trying. I replaced the display cable but that didn't change anything. I'm guessing now that it's a logic board issue but, seeing as there's no visible or apparent damage to the logic board, I can't be sure. I had planned on taking it in to have it looked at and get a definitive answer but haven't done so yet. Sorry.

codyandreasen,

Thanks for the response, codyandreasen. I am working abroad for the next 4 months, so I am probably just going to live with it until I get back home. Would you mind updating this thread again if you bring it in to get looked at or if you're able to isolate the problem another way? I'll update the thread, too, if I make any progress in figuring it out. Thanks. *note: sorry, admins, but I couldn't figure out how to post this as a comment instead of as a new answer.

Scott Trimble,

Yeah, I'll update if and when I find an answer.

codyandreasen,

3

Having just read something about it and answered another question like this on here. I would think that it is either your backlight or your inverter board, if the cable is okay and the connections are intact. Defective backlight may have the following symptoms: Screen flashes on red/pink and goes off. Picture stays on in red and slowly be come normal. Inverter error may have the symptom off Picture flickering with dim display and Picture flickering on and off. Apparently most screen backlight problems are caused by failing inverters and not the screen backlight itself. So it's hard to say for sure exactly what the problem is. But, the inverter lights up the light in LCD panel. Your cheapest fix is to replace the inverter located in the LCD panel and if that doesn't work then the light is burned out in the LCD panel itself. Just my 2cents and I am most certainly not a Mac person, yet. good luck

I wouldn't describe the display as flickering, though. The red stays there in the darkest areas and the dimness adjustment works fine. But maybe I'll have to try that. When I looked at the inverter board when I had it open, that too seemed fine. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

codyandreasen,

I figured it to be cheaper hoping that it is the inverter versus the LCD. This is what I found out :First stage reddish color, second stage fussy image around the borders, third stage image disappears, comes back, over and over again, forth stage death. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_wi... and http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/general-ch... for more info hope it guides you in the right direction. Good Luck

Forgot to ask you if you have tried an external monitor yet. Just in case :)

Okay I found out that on LCD Tv's it is most commonly cause d by an LVDS cable issue. I suppose you could look into that and see if that makes a difference. I am sure that your parts are readily available. I stop confusing you now :) good luck

2

vatku
25

I dropped my MBP 2010 i7, and same appeared today. Reading these posts I thought force might be the cheapest solution. External monitor didn't point any problems and red flickering was with both GPU's, slightly worse with geforce.

So pressing with full weight next to ESC and eject buttons stopped flickering, and it hasn't come back so far (20minutes)

1

Wally B
13

My late 2006 15" Macbook Pro starting exhibiting the same problem a few days ago but then suddenly fixed itself. Not sure how but this is what happened.

I was watching a live streaming sports PPV on my Macbook Pro and had the video enlarged to full screen. Half way through the event my MBP fans started running louder and that's when the red line problem occurred. It was mainly in the blacks, dropshadows and dark colors of the screen. Tried rebooting, zapping pram, turned it off until the next morning and nothing seemed to work.

Read that it could be hardware issues and thought I might have broke something when a couple weeks ago I installed an SSD hard drive and replaced my dvd drive with the previous regular hard drive. But the thing is it was working perfectly until I started watching the PPV.

So a couple of days later I booted up again and the problem was still there and figured I'll open the machine up next weekend. In the mean time I started moving essential files from my standard HD to my SSD and saw a video I wanted to watch, so I installed the latest VLC on the new drive and after watching the video I noticed the red lines disappeared and my display is back to normal.

Not sure what fixed it or if the problem will come back, but I do remember when I was trying to stream the PPV I kept switching feeds and getting missing video plugin errors and the fans getting louder than normal. And the two things I did before I noticed it went back to normal was reinstalling Visual Hub and the latest VLC and watched a couple of .avi and .flv movies and now so far so good.

0

james
1

My A1212 MacBook Pro just started doing this same thing this afternoon. I reseated both sides of the video cable to no avail. I ended up pulling the logic board and reflowing the X1600 chip. That took care of it. It started acting up while watching a streaming video, so "heatey"-come, "heatey"-go.

Sorry about that pun, I couldn't resist. Oh no, a double pun!

0

Errorcod3
1

The LCD Pannel is the problem!!

I have a Sceptre monitor that displays anything that is black as horizontal red lines.

All other montiors/cables/computers work just fine, just a junk monitor

0

Alex
43

One of my macs has the same issue.

It's a Macbook Pro 15" Late 2006 MA610LL A1211

It's whether the screen cable's connector or the port on the logic board.

Whenever the black goes red I press down the keyboard, over the following buttons: [;'p

I don't feel like taking this laptop apart right now, but if the "pressure" workaround will keep working, I'll just open it up and apply couple of layers of electric black tape over the flex cable connection.

0

Shannon
1

THIS IS THE ANSWER The nvidia graphics card has a recall on it for Mac Pro model # MA610LL, late 2006 models. Sold as 2007 models from early 2007 to end of 2007. I have been fighting apple for years to have this recall fixed under extended out of warranty repair. Also, when it was covered. Apple, would not replace the defective graphics card. They, APPLE, finally agreeded to do a covered white glove inspection and repair. As should have been done, while it was under warranty. Instead, they replaced a failing optic drive, with a third party optic drive. They did not even address the graphics problem. I got it back, shipped via fed ex. In a wet, BUSTED open apple repair box, from the abuse in transit and drop on front covered brick porch. Fed ex label torn away address part left. No Apple security tape present. Signature required according to apple. Fed ex just left it. No invoice detailing repair, what they did. And computer password changed. Apple could not give me the password, that they swear they did not change. So, I had to do a system restore. That worked. Then, the optic drive just replaced by apple failed day two while updating to snow leopard. It would not read the install CD. SO, APPLE SAID DO ANOTHER SYSTEM RESTORE. THE OPTIC DRIVE WOULD NOT READ SYSTEM RESTORE DISK 1 nor would it eject. So, I sent it back to them overnight . Apple, sent an email stating repair complete. They had my Mac pro model MA610LL , less than 48 hours. Nothing repaired. Systems disk still stuck in optic drive. I called them and was berated, belittled, & accused by a Senoir tech. He was accusing me of replacing the optic drive with a third party drive, that it had a third party hard drive in it and micro fractures In the logic board. And nothing wrong with graphics Card. I told them bull .... They gave me an estimate of 1,297.46 . I asked for a copy of that took 3 hours plus on phone passing me off. Finally, they sent it. So I could file a claim against Fed Ex. Apple and fed ex have a deal. If apple will not push claim the customer can not. Or even speak to fed ex. All the problems with this model MA610LL AND RELATED MODELS. Are all the same, overheating problems, unexplained red black graphics, and failed optic drives. They, Apple is aware of and they will not stand behind the know defects. Apple passes you off from tech to supervisor over and over and then slides it under the rug. Stating they have no record of your repairs, no notes nothing. If I had money I would legally per sue them. But I do not. So after going on 3 yrs of being passed off. I call it the great apple pass off. I am going to try to repair my Mac myself. I do not even know how to or where to start. I am glad I found this web site. I need instruction on how to open case to get to optic drive, hard drive, logic board and graphics card. I Have no clue what all this looks like. But it is being filmed for YouTube etc. And for my own purpose for putting it back together. Wish me luck any advice greatly appreciated. Also, I want to see all the third party components apple claims are inside my Mac.

0

andyg
34

Sorry to anyone pointing the problem at Macbook, but horizontal red lines is a monitor problem that is usually caused by only two things.

-Bad inverter cables/soldering

-Driver for different model/corrupt driver.

There can also be comptibility issues between the monitor and pc, but not very often (usually os related)

If you've got this problem try search for latest drivers. If you can manage to pry apart your monitor (unplugged for a day), Check the invertor cables are fully pushed in. If that fails try re-soldering the base connector bit. I had a 6 y o monitor that looked fine untill i wiggled the wire to find the plastic base on circuit board hanging by a thread. Dab of solder and it was good as new :)

0

gcp
1

Vatku you are a genius. Had this issue on mid 2013 MBP - e.g.. (black screen on the graphic at the top if this page was red-lined), read your post & simply reached over and (quite gently) pressed the casing over the back-right corner (near exc key) - bam, lines vanished.

We'll see if it lasts, but meanwhile you've saved me a trip to a service centre - thank you!

0

palafoxcomputers
1

Same problem here. I replaced the whole topcase with lcd and inverter board and same thing. I can't but think it is the logic board/ video card because when i drag the image over to my external no red lines? It also won't run a hardware test which in my experience is logic board failure.

Macbook Pro1,1

Intel Core Duo

Graphics: ATI Radeon x1600

0

jrp
1

vatku - the upper left corner "case press" solved my problem as well, 2010 17" MBP, thanks

I guess I wonder what is the cause and why that fixes it - loose connector? static discharge?

Edited by: jrp ( )