0

Sunshine
103

Loose Power Cable- can it be fixed?

I have an HP notebook, model G60-535DX. The power cable, when plugged in, is very sensitive to touch. The light easily goes out (the small silver charging light next to the jack). The cable, when inserted, feels loose. SO, I think the jack is loose from the mother board. HP is out of warranty and I am traveling. Can I open case and easily fix this?

Edited by: David Hodson ( ) , Sunshine ( )

1

Laptop Repair Guy
325

1. Test your AC adapter with a voltmeter and figure out if this is bad adapter cable OR bad jack.

If it's bad adapter, replace it with a new one.

2. If it's bad jack, you'll have to disassemble your HP G60 laptop and replace the jack. It's not soldered to the motherboard. You can simply unplug the damaged jack harness and plug in a new one. Take a look at the last picture in the guide I mentioned.

3. Alternatively, you can find laptop disassembly instructions in the official HP service manual. Find your HP laptop and download the manual. Go to parts replacement procedure. In the same manual you can find HP part number for DC jack harness.

Same instructions apply to Compaq Presario CQ50/CQ60/CQ70 and HP G50/G60/G70 laptops.