1

Dave H
13

Washer slowly fills with water while not in use, what is wrong?

Recently I noticed my washer will slowly fill with water when not in use. the problem seems to be intermitant and I think it could be mineral build up in the supply valve? Any suggestions would help.

Edited by: iRobot ( ) , osvaldo and oldturkey03 ( )

7

mayer

Water-inlet valves eventually fail. One problem that may develop with a water-inlet valve is that it can no longer completely shut off when the electricity is turned off to it. Then, the valve may leak and drip water into the clothes tub--you may notice that your washer has water in it when you haven't used it for a few days. To fix this, replace the valve.

Here's the part and where to get it: http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail...

I've used these people and they are fast and reliable.

They also carry a repair manual for it: http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail...

+ Good stuff. I learned something today.

David Hodson,

+ Good research

Taylor Arnicar,

Thanks for the quick and quality help! -Dave

Dave H,

Excellent research +

rj713,

same thing happened to mine because it was delivered in the winter when they brought it in it was frozen.had to wait 15 minutes for it to thaw.then after 1 month it started to collect water in the tub.i turn the water off after i do the wash so that takes care of it until i replace the valve

bob133,

2

farspace
300

This is a supplement, NOT a replacement to the well-researched and thorough answer from Meyer, above...

In my washing machine, the hard water deposits blocked up the inlet quite a bit, to the point where it appeared to be failing.

I bought a $10 bottle of CLR, or "Calcium/Lime/Rust," sold in a usually gray bottle and ran the roughly 1/4-gallon container through a warm cycle twice, half of the bottle each time. It cleared out the hard water, and the inlet ran well afterwards.

Twice a year, I use CLR the same way on my dishwasher and soak my shower head in it to remove minerals and hard water buildup. CLR is essential for anyone's cleaning "kit" where water is used-- the sink, bathtub, etc.

Remember, Meyer's post is VERY complete and *most likely* your problem with a slow inlet.

NOTE: On the first cycle, with the CLR in the clothing washer, let the water fill up and sit with water/CLR in it for at least a couple of hours. Also, CHECK YOUR MANUAL to make sure there isn't any reason NOT to use CLR on it... I can't think of any, but I'm not an expert on washing machines.

the CLR suggestion seems to have worked for us. == Update == the CLR seems to have solved the leaking problem for us

dennis,

0

Melissa
1

Until I replace this, can I just shut off the main valve (water) to stop this?

That should work unless it is a siphoning issue.

mayer,