0

james
1

Why won't my iPhone turn on unless it's plugged in?

Hi there,

I purchased a used iphone but it won't turn on unless it is plugged in to the wall (it won't turn on if plugged in to the computer, and thus, itunes won't recognize it).

When plugged in to the wall, it shows the apple logo, and then immediately goes to the 'connect to itunes' screen. However, when you unplug to connect to itunes, the screen goes black and it won't turn on.

What do I do? Would a battery replacement help?

Edited by: rj713 and oldturkey03 ( ) , james ( ) , David Hodson ( )

I seem to have found myself with this problem, my phone was running iow4.3 and I jb so I thought it was that, I did a factory restore and it did t work, I can only use the phone if it's plugged it. I haven't put it in rice because I don't think it's gotten wet Should I just replace the battery ?

rjnior,

That's what I would do. It sounds like your battery and it gives you a solid starting point. This way you know that your battery is not part of the problem and it makes it easy for any further troubleshooting, if that should be necessary.

yep, this battery if original is probably at the end of it's life.. 3years old?

pollytintop,

I have the same issue and it is the result of water damage. Did yours get wet at all? I was able to fix my issue by leaving it plugged in for about 14 hours. Miraculously fixed it. After replacing the battery though I am not getting the same issue.

Nick Summy,

Hey Nick, thanks for your response. I'm not sure about the water damage (the seller says no, but I bought used and it looks like the iphone had previously been opened and tampered with). I tried leaving it plugged in for over 14 hours - no success. Based on your suggestion, I've ordered a new battery so we'll see if that works. Any other suggestions are welcome!

james,

0

nick chenault
127

Hey there. I have repaired many iphone's with this exact same problem. First I try a new battery (most of the time that fixes the issue). If the battery does not work, than try a new USB doc port. Sometimes you have to replace both. Also make sure that the two gold battery contacts on the logic board are cleaned off. If still no luck, than you probably have a bad board.

Good luck.

-Nick c

Edited by: pollytintop ( )

Hi Nick, whilst it's fab you gave advice, we aren't allowed to advertise our own companies etc. You're welcome to put a link on your profile page. I've deleted your link from here. Cheers

pollytintop,

Good eye Polly.

Majesty,

1

isaacstuff
13

Hi. I had this exact same problem after replacing a cracked screen. The first couple hours it turned on just fine, but would randomly shut off, and the same the next morning. So I took the phone apart to make sure all connectors were cleaned with alcohol and firmly in place and that none of the screws were loose.

But now It would power on and work perfectly only when plugged into a wall, but would immediately shut off when unplugged and would do nothing when plugged into the computer. What was even more frustrating is that the phone did show the battery, it's % (almost full), and showed charging.

One last try, I opened up the back and took out the battery, as I unscrewed the tiny grounding piece near the vibrator, I wasn't sure if I had it the right way. I checked the pictures in the guide it looked like it might be upside down, so I flipped it, put the battery back in and presto, my iPhone worked again, WOOHOO!

Funny how it can be something so simple sometimes.

I've spent hours looking for an answer to a problem and have it be where I can't even find the subject, let alone a solution. So hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

0

Jonathan Jett
1

im having a problem similar. only powes on if puggeed in but it loops restore mode, says actvation required, but cannot plug up to computer?