1

Justin Carone
13

How can I repair the headphone jack?

Recently I have been getting an extraneous crackling noise from a loose 1/8" connection in my phone. At times sound will completely cut out and the music app will become paused as if I had removed the headphone's all together. As it happens with every cable and set of headphones I use it is definitely an issue with the headphone jack. How can I go about dismantling the phone in order to repair the loose connection?

8

Julian Taylor
73

It's a manufacturing defect that affects almost all the droids. There is too much wiggle room between the phone casing and the jack.

I cut a tiny piece off a plastic drinking straw, and wedged it in between the case and the jack to take up the extra space. No more crackling, and pauses whenever I look at the phone wrong.

Edited by: Julian Taylor ( )

That manual is fantastic. My droid was doing the same thing and it gets so frustrating It took me about 10 maybe 15 minutes to get my droid apart and about 3 minutes to put it back together (and im a noob to all of this) I ended up sliding a thin piece of plastic b/w the headphone jack and the casing because I didnt have a straw and my headphone jack works perfectly now! Thanks to all

Aaron,

4

Eric Essen

Your headphone jack is sort of built into the rear case, and doesn't have a plug, but instead has contacts that are pressed against 5 gold square shaped contacts on a cable attached to the logic board. It sounds like there might be a dirty or intermittent connection there.

This image might help you:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/UIUAk... You can see the jack built into the panel on the top left of the picture, and the cable it contacts with built into the top right corner of the logic board at the very bottom of the picture.

Following this guide should get you deep enough into the phone to clean the contacts/inspect the jack.

Motorola Droid Rear Case Replacement

I too was having issues with my Droid's headphone jack. For me it was more of a matter of $ and business. I have been trying to use my droid for processing credit cards and with the dodgy & sporatic connectivity meant that I could not swipe cards. When doing this repair I also had no soda straw. So I trimmed a piece of plastic from the case that my new Torx T5 driver came in. When I got it back together , it worked flawlessly. At least so far so good. I swiped cards 30 times and each time was perfect. This answer was...MONEY.

Edwin Fackler,

2

Jeff
25

I just attempted a fix on this, and for now it's solved. I'm a little worried that it's going to creep up again later, but here's what I did:

Followed the teardown guide to get the back off

Cleaned off the contacts, for good measure

Bent the 5 metal arms that press against the ribbon on the logic board so that they are more flush with the logic board contacts

I doubt that they will stay like that, but I'll see how it goes. I can't make it crackle or disconnect for now, as much as I've tried for the last few minutes.

1

MishyTOO
13

OMG a piece of plastic actually worked! I cut a tiny piece of straw put my headphones in the jack partially and created a space in between the jack and the casing and voila!!! no more static didnt even take my phone apart! I didnt even turn off my phone... Saved me some unecessarily wasted time thanks people!!!

0

Andrew
1

I didn't even have to take mine apart. I went to McDonald's and grabbed a straw, cut it into a pyramid about 3cm long, used my headphones as a lever to pull the headphone plug casing away from the phone just a smidge and slid the plastic piece into it and trimmed the plastic down with some scissors. Worked like a charm.

0

Isaac Hernandez
1

It Work very well!! I took a little piece of straw (.5 cm) and i put it without opening my droid... and thats it!! I dont have the problem of crackling anymore!!

0

jeffreyrallen95
1

LOOK HERE NOW IF YOU WANT TO SAVE YOURSELF A TON OF HASSLE

This will save you LOADS OF TIME. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO TAKE YOUR PHONE APART!!!

MishyTOO's solution is definitely the best. It takes not tools other than scissors and a normal drinking straw. This is my slightly modified version of his solution.

Materials: Drinking straw, Scissors, broken/cheap headphones(optional)

Step 1: Cut about two 2 inch pieces of your straw

Step 2: Cut about 1 inch of one end of the straws at an angle so it pointy.

Step 3: Get a a pair of headphones and use the jack of the headphones to push the phone jack a little bit to one side.

Step 4: Put the pointy end of the straw you cut into the small space created and gently push it down as far as it goes.

Step 5: Cut the excess straw length.

Step 6: repeat steps 3-5 for the opposite side.

Step 7: Test! Put your headphones in and out a few times, and giggle the plug a little bit to see if it cuts out at all or if the sound quality changes at all. Play a song and unplug your headphones to make sure the music pauses when the headphones are no longer plugged in.

Step 8: Adjust as necessary and enjoy!

THANK YOU!!! This problem has been driving me crazy for months to the point that I just plain quit using my phone for music all together. Now I can use it again for Pandora, streaming radio and MP3's in all the places I like - my car, when I am biking and walking. Coffee straw and a razor did the trick for me...

J Faust,

0

sgreend
1

Just install the "Headest Blocker" app and quit messing around with the flawed mechanics of this poorly designed jack and plastic straws...problem solved!

0

Dale Thompson
1

Had no straw, so I tried this on the headphone jack and plug for my portable tv: Found a twistie, twisted the pieces that flag out from the metal center so that the twistie was now very thin. Wrapped it around the plug so that it would prevent it from plugging completely into the jack. It worked.

0

JBJblaze
1

Thanks to Mr Julian Taylor's answer, I don't have to irrelevantly deal with warranty! I just wiggled the head back and forth in my phone's jack, and watched the phone case: VERDICT: TOO MUCH WIGGLE ROOM. Please fix this in the future HTC, and other companies that try this crap! Thank you all! XD

0

David Ruekberg
1

Sgreend: Headset (not Headest) Blocker doesn't work on Android ICS or higher versions, including Jelly Bean. See https://github.com/dlew/android-headset-.... Google Play won't even install it.

This solutions regarding sticking in a piece of plastic must not apply to Droid Bionic after March 2012, when I bought mine. There is no gap between the headset jack and case. I have cleaned out the jack with a Q-tip stick & alcohol. It helped, but isn't 100%.

Edited by: David Ruekberg ( )