0

euricoboal42
1

Screen digitizer replacement interchangeability

I was wondering if the screen digitizer replacement for the ipad mini 1st gen could be used as a replacement for the newer ipad mini Retina, would it work, are the digitizers interchangeable between the two generations? If not, is ifixit going to start selling an ipad mini retina replacement soon?

Thx

Part in question:

iPad Mini Front Panel Digitizer Assembly

Product code: IF122-001-1

Apple Part #: 820-3291-A, 820-3291

2

Will
25

It is exactly the same! The dual broadcom chips as well as the connector, as well as even Apple's own part number on the IC chip is the same. So yes, you can interchange between the 1st and 2nd gen mini.

chip was not the same in my hands.

jessabethany,

just checked my parts and all them are the same on all ipad mini's. the only difference will be the ending letter of the part number, most likely suggesting a different rev type. as if apple updated the design inside the IC but works the exact same. dont take what i say as straight facts. can anyone else better clarify this?

qpunk,

1

eman05
547

Yes, the digitizer are the same for both iPad Mini models.

0

jessabethany

I can confirm that the glass digitizers are interchangeable, however the ic chip is different. Therefore the part you've referenced wont work on the mini retina since it is presoldered to the mini 1st gen ic chip

Edited by: jessabethany ( )

0

spacec0w
21

Also was the same for me.

0

Peter
25

Yes, they are the same and compatible. Both the digitizer and IC Chip are the same. Don't worry the models, they are all compatible.