2

tommycook
25

Why does the backlight flicker after screen repair

I do between 4 and 5 iPhone 4 and 4s screen repairs each week and have been running in to the same issue over and over. Before I do a repair, I test the screen that I am going to use for the repair with a tester cable and old iPhone. The screens appear to be fine when I run the test, but after I install them on the customers' phone sometimes the back light flickers. I try to be very careful with the digitizer and lcd flex cables, and have even started pre-bending them on the dotted lines assuming that I must be damaging them during installation, but they are still flickering. Has anyone else run in to this problem?

2

iwillfix

yes i have seen this problem a lot!!!! also test is before install. once its in place its start to flicker.

all you have to do is wait... about 1h-6h and the flickering has gone (in 99% off the cases). don't ask me why...

in my opinion its the low quality of the screen. and yes i buy "original" parts but that just a name. different suppliers give different screens,... the also seem to come in batches. sometimes the whole batch (100-200) screens give flickering, some times none of them...

suppliers keep talking about static electricity, we work esd safe so i thing the quality is the problem

hope someone know's what the real problem is...

1

Dieter
127

hello there.

I agree with iwillfix.

I found that original lcd (the one with the black stripes left and right only have this problem extremely seldom.. but the copy/half original LCD on the cheaper displays have this problem much more often.

a burn-in of about 15 minutes to several hours will fix this problem most of the time.

Since we offer to repair the displays within 30 minutes for our customers.. i tend to buy the original lcd displays... but i tested a new supplier who said it is original but it is not.. ugh... so i have to write a formal paper now to inform my customers about this burn in procedure...

1

bruno
25

It happened to me after I replaced a screen. I totally agree with iwillfix.

A lot of people say you must turn brightness/auto-bright off/on, wait a little, sing a song, yadda yadda, but if you just wait you're good to go.

0

Miha Strumbelj
1

Hei i have the same problem with my new replacement screen, but it start after i restore iPhone with itunes, before that it wors good. Now i seen that if i put on screen totaly black photo, it stops!

0

Brian Wood
1

I know this thread is kind of old, but I deal directly with a supplier in the states and I've asked him what the problem was with his screens recently. He supplies great screens and I've rarely had any issues, but as of late I get about 50% with the flickering back light. This issue doesnt start until about 20 min after install. He told me the issue was that the glass on top of the digitizer is either too thick or too thin. Its an issue with the manufacturing process. Basically, whether its too thick or too thin causes undue pressure on the back light. Too much glue or thick glass, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps.

This Month: 1,226