0

Michael Flynn
1

The keyboard and trackpad dont work, can I fixit?

Ive been told at the apple repair centre that my MacBook needs another 700 dollar logic board.

Can I do it myself?

How hard is it?

How much are the motherboards to buy and where would you get one?

2

mayer

Let's see if we can't determine the problem first before replacing a lot of parts. Try hooking up an external keyboard and see if that solves the problem, Please give us the exact model of MacBook you have. Besides the keyboard problem have you noted anything else behaving abnormally?

Good advice + Ralph

rj713,

Hi Ralph, yes USB external keyboard and mouse are being used ATM. Everything else is behaving itself.

Michael Flynn,

Ralph was just making a comment on my answer, Mayer. If everything is working fine by using an external keyboard, this could be as simple as not having the keyboard cable plugged into the motherboard. If it is running the logicboard is good. Why did the techs have your machine in the first place and why would they have taken the screen off? Sounds very fishy to me. Take the battery out and give us the exact MacBook model you have so we can direct you to the proper repair guide.

mayer,

1

TIMSIT
247

I would make sure the top case, which includes the keyboard and trackpad, is not the problem first. Otherwise I believe this site sells logic boards for your computer in the $350-$450 range depending on the model.

Click on the photo of your MB to see the repair manual and judge for yourself if the repair is something you want to do. Ralph http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/MacBo...

rj713,

The Mac technician told me he put the existing 'broken' top case on another machine and it worked fine. But i don't really trust the shop to know if this is really the case. This is Phuket Thailand and the workshop didn't seem brimming with other MacBooks to test these things out on. It seemed to me they went for the simplest and most expensive option just to get rid of me.

Michael Flynn,