0

jfsmith1222
1

Can I install a second SSD in place of the superdrive?

I just installed a 960 GB SSD to replace the HDD in this MacBook Pro.

Can I install a second SSD of the same capacity using the Second Hard drive kit sold by iFixit in the Superdrive Bay?

Is the procedure the same as if I were replacing the superdrive with an HDD or Hybrid?

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( )

1

Brendan Mills
355

Yes you can this guide will run you though how to install the second SSD, be careful when ordering the caddy as there are two sizes, one for Macbook Pros (Slim) and one for iMacs (normal).

I hope this helps, if you need any more please just ask.

Cheers

Brendan Mills

Thank you.....Can the two drives be partitioned/configured to act as a single drive?

jfsmith1222,

There are terminal commands and AppleScripts you can run to make a HDD and a SSD run as a fusion drive, but i haven't done this myself, i'm sure the same would apply to two SSDs. A quick search on google for "make your own fusion drive" will point you in the right direction.

Brendan Mills,

Thanks Brendan for all the help... I wasn't familiar with the term "fusion drive" and that makes all the difference...

jfsmith1222,