0

David Christel
13

replacing the battery latch

I have a second-hand MacBook (white).

The battery latch will not turn far enough to secure the battery. It needs to be replaced. The dealer is unsure it it's covered under warranty.

If not, he would charge $100.00 for the case bottom (which supposedly included the latch), and $150.00 for labor. He says if I try to do it myself, I could void the warranty (which is good through October).

Edited by: Matt Barnes ( )

1

David Christel
13

I have the box with the MacBook at hand. The only number in the battery compartment is 825-7299A, but don't think that is correct.

On the box itself is: MC240LL/A, which is probably the correct one.

OK , I've found it. You have a mid 2009 MacBook 13" laptop which should still be under Apple warranty. I would advise you to contact Apple at 1-800 SOS Apple for warranty instructions. Your Model number is 1181--the 825-7299A is most likely the serial number. I would contact Apple directly and not let that shop charge you for the reair. Ralph

rj713,

The 825 number is not the serial number so you should have the laptop handy when you call Apple. Ralph

rj713,

0

rj713

You can remove the battery and then operate the latching mechanism. I think you will find something is slightly bent that can be easily corrected without replacement. I would try in any case before spending the money. You say the unit is second hand--who is providing the warranty on it. Ralph

0

David Christel
13

1)Thanks, but I tried your suggestion before writing.

The problem is that I can't get to the latch assembly without removing the bottom of the case. What I really need is a "take-apart" procedure.

In the latest Macworld, there is a mention of ifixit's .pdf files. I looked there, but didn't find exactly what I wanted.

2)The computer was an "open box" acquired from a large national retailer.

Acording to our local authorized Apple retailer, the laptop is still under warranty through Apple.

If its still under Apples warranty I'd let them fix it for free. Ralph

rj713,

You can look here to match your computer for a teardown. Ralph http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/MacBo...

rj713,

0

David Christel
13

Thanks, Ralph, however:

1) The local Apple dealer is uncertain if this particular situation is under warranty.

2) I did not find an exact match in ifixit.

Can you look in the battery compartment for the exact model you have--would probably be on the compartment wall? When we know that we can go further. Ralph

rj713,

0

David Christel
13

Yes, of course. I had it written down, but (you know how it goes), I misplaced it.

I will post it as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks.