0

arthurbarsalou
11

No digitizer after glass replacement?

A few days ago I broke my iPad mini, I have some experience in repairs so I changed it myself.

But I really don't get why the new digitizer is not working now. The connector on the motherboard looks perfect and I tried the part on another iPad mini and it works great.

The home button works, and when I plug it in the screen lights, when I unplug it the screen shut down.

Very strange...

Did anybody had the same issue ?

Edited by: arthurbarsalou ( )

0

valkyrie455
413

Ran into this same issue a few weeks back, if your sure you did the soldering part correct then the socket on the motherboard is damaged. Youll need a jewelers lens to get a close enough look at the socket but once you can get up on it youll more than likely see one or more of the little gold connections have broken. If anyone finds a replacement socket post it here, I looked like mad on sites that specialized in IC's with no definitive results. And talk about needle in a haystack, finding a part number for that particular socket seems next to impossible. Maybe im not versed well enough in identifying IC's, maybe it really is a proprietary piece of hardware, if anyone has any info post it please.

0

mansedan
1

I've got the exact same problem with a repair I'm working on right now. Home button works fine, no touch ability. I've done several Mini repairs before with no issues, and of course the device was powered off when I took it apart.

I've tried several different digitizers on this unit, all with the same symptoms.

0

indyelectronix
1

I had the same problem as well. Turns out that the little pins on the digitizer connector on the motherboard come out VERY EASILY. I'm in the process of looking for a replacement connector. You may have the same issue. Put a magnifying glass on that connector and make sure all the female pins are there.

0

Flower
1

What else would be helpful is:

How to desolder the connectors from the digitizer of the homebutton cable and of the IC board/cable. eg.Temperature?!

How to solder the new connectors from the digitizer to the homebutton and the IC board/cable.

Temperature, solder piece, rosin, etc

I am pretty sure, you need to use the original IC that was build into the same original device otherwise funny things as jumping screens can happen even when soldering was well.

Flo

Are you asking OP exactly how he desoldered the connectors from the digitizer or are you asking for general specs on how to do the job? In the case you simply in need of info and for everyone else out there I will broad stroke how I perform these repairs. *CAUTION* If you do not have a generous amount of experience with soldering small electronics, patience, and decent tools this job is best suited for someone who does! Dont say i didnt tell you. I use a Re-Flow Hot Air Gun, at around 800(if not more) degrees Fahrenheit to separate the IC from the OEM ribbon I also use a custom heat shield to protect the circuitry during the removal process. While reattaching the IC to the new screen I have been using 62/36/2 Rosin Core Solder and a soldering pen at 800 degrees fahrenheit without incident. And as for the home button ribbon, i simply use a soldering pen at 800 degrees Fahrenheit to undo the 8 contacts there. Attaching this ribbon back to the new screen is just the reverse process.

valkyrie455,

0

arthurbarsalou
11

Well, apparently the connector gets damaged quite easily. So one has to be extra cautious when replacing a broken glass.

I'm currently waiting for a connactor to come out in the market to replace it.

0

Raheel
1

my pad mini mother board is not working

0

Paris1k
1

I had this same issue with the digitizer touch function not working and home button working, checked connector all seemed Ok. I found solution to be doing hard reboot on iPad mini with holding down home and power buttons at same time. After reboot, all worked again including touch function on digitizer.

0

browniestarmite
1

I ran into this exact same issue today. Turned out the digitizer's connector wasn't completely seated. It was seated enough to allow the home button to work, but not the screen. Lesson learned: Verify the digitizer and LCD work at the various steps of reassembly.