0

Ryan Caird
43

iPhone 5 only charging on one side?

The other day my iphone decided to start only charging on one side... It isn't my cable (I have tried 4 and they are all the same. They will charge other iPhones fine). I have replaced the lightning connector in my phone to no avail.

If anyone has any solution to this it would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to swap my phone at an Apple store, as it is jailbroken.

Thanks for your help!

Mine started doing the same sort of thing.....it has gradually gotten worse and worse. Bought the proper Apple brand cable and some off brand longer USB/Lightning cords and wonder if that caused some sort of mechanical wear to the internal connecting fingers that rub against the lightning connector tab... Not really much help for an answer but I have decide to change out the lightning connector.

brian62,

Same here. At first, it wasn't charging at all on any cable. Then I did a reboot and it started charging but on one side only. I'm calling Apple and I suspect they'll swap out the phone. You shouldn't have to have a phone that only half works!

Kathleen Puls Andrade,

Unfortunately mine has been doing the same thing for several months. Just about the time that I had upgraded from jailbroken iOS 6 up to the beta iOS 7s. I have an old 30pin clipusa car passthrough mount that has only a forward orientation and thus with the 30pin-lightening adapter can only mount the iPhone 5 forward. This is a problem for me as the iPhone will only charge from a backward orientation. No physical or water damage at all. One day it was working, the next it was not. Pretty crappy. I also tried several cords and adapters just to see if it was the hardware and each and every one will only work in the 'backward' orientation.

ncharlebois,

0

Jackintosh11

I assume what you mean is that the lightning connector has to be inserted in a certain orientation. If so, put a dot on the side that needs to face up.

But... really!? And put a dot on the cable FOR YOU this is a solution?! :D I would really quick call Apple for assistance, you can jailbreak the next one...

Paolo Petrini,

0

Jay Elem
1

I noticed the connector metal parts were blackened or oxidized and it would only charge in one direction. I called apple support who suggested a factory reset -I was pretty unwilling as a factory reset is quite a bit of work and my iopd touch 5th gen was jailbroken -the factory reset would force an upgrade to ios7.0.4 for which there is yet no jailbreak.

I decided to take a chance and rinsed off a steel wool SOS pad thoroughly and very carefully attempted to clean the metal oxidized/dirty connectors. After a few minutes I thoroughly dried the connector and plugged it in. Success! both ways now charge the touch.

It should be noted that I took some risk in doing this as I could have damaged the connectors further but luck and patience paid off.

This was a 5th gen ipod touch purchased in December 2012 with the original lightning connector -hope this helps someone.

0

micheal kennedy
1

Just wipe it and take the iphone into apple.