1

mikebrungs
13

Intermittent USB Power Port - Common Problem

Looks like my wife's Kindle Fire has joined the ever increasing club of owners that are having issues with the USB power port. Having to wiggle the plug JUST right until you see that is actually charging... sometimes that works.. sometimes it doesn't. Doing a Google search returns a lot of people having the same issue, but other than tear downs, no one is saying that this is fixable in any other way than replacing the entire motherboard.

Would love for this site to focus on this component to see if it looks like something looks prone to coming loose or likely cause of an intermittent connection.

Any chance someone could take a look and possibly help a WHOLE lot of people with one assessment ?

in the same situation

Jorge Rodriguez,

2

mikebrungs, having scoured the forums over the last few month, the problem is most certainly the micro USB port. You could disassemble your Kindle. Follow this guide. and check the solder connection on the micro USB port. It is very likely that they have either come totally of the board, or that they have micro cracks. It might be possible to reuse the old connector and resolder it, or you may have to find a new connector. If you need a new one, you could check mouser.com or digikey.com for a micro USB that fits the dimensions of your Kindle. If anyone would post the exact dimension of the micro USB port, we could try and find an equivalent part. It is highly doubtful that the port is proprietary. Hope this helps, good luck.

2

BEN
91

I am here to offer you all a solution to the common USB port problem. I was among those who could not find a way to fix the charging port on my Kindle Fire. It seemed to be impossible to find the correct OEM replacement. So, I decided to take it apart, in hopes I could find a common USB replacement that would fit, even though it was not the same as the OEM charging port that came stock. After searching everywhere for one that would work, I had no luck. Then, I went on ebay and asked around a bit, turns out that the USB port was very unique and very hard to locate as it is one of a kind. One seller, told me that they would have the part in stock in a few days, though I had my doubts. Then a week later, I got another response telling me the part was now in stock and a link to the listing where I could buy it. They said they had limited stock, however they are still available. They were a little expensive, but the part seemed to be an exact match to my original and after soldering it in, my Kindle Fire is now working great once again. I was so pleased with this seller, I thought I would share it with you as it is such a common problem. Their part number is USB830 and here is a link where you can buy it. Hope it helps. Replacement OEM Kindle Fire USB Charging Port

Jesus Christ, $30 for a usb port?! Outrageous. Talk about robbery!

John Stamos,

2

xelz
1

We repair these A LOT! The jack is unbalanced on the Main Board and is easily detached by normal wear and tear. Soldering the jack back on to the board is a little tricky but the real repair is getting the port sturdy to prevent the issue from re-occurring.

We do a full repair by removing the old solder on the board and the jack then reattach using flux and fresh solder. We also stabilize the port so it doesn't happen again.

You can send it from anywhere in the US and we'll repair it for $39.95 which includes return shipping.

www.rockhoptec.com

please call or email with any questions!

(585) 487-8220

alex@rockhoptec.com

Edited by: xelz ( )

1

stwesner
13

You could try to open it up and reflow the solder around the USB jack. It may be that these connections have a cold solder joint or 2. There are 4 small pins coming out the back. Also, both sides are soldered down to provide ground to the outside of the USB.

If all of the connections are good, you could putt some supper glue around the jack to try to hold it to the board better.

Our Kindle Fire was plugged in, charging when it fell about 3 feet onto the hardwood floor. It landed right on the cord where it was plugged in and bend the USB end of the cord.

When I took it apart, I found that the USB jack had completely broken off with 2 of the pins still connected to the PCB. With some jerry rigging and fancy soldering, I was able to reconnect it to the board and it worked! I was surprised and my wife was thankful.

The USB port is a weak point with this tablet... and most devices these days.

Edited by: stwesner ( )

1

Martin
13

I have the same issue. This is the third time. Amazon has been great in sending out a new kindle but they keep sending the same defec.tive model. We have gone through three kindles. Amazon knows these units are defective. (A supervisor admitted that to me) Now Amazon wants to sell me a Gen. 2 at a discounted price. If they had done that the first time the problem would have been solved. That is assuming Amazon corrected the problem on the Generation 2. Just got off the phone with Brandon(supervisor) after numerous cutoff s,callbacks and holding,over an hour. The best he can do is sell me a kindle Gen. 2 for 139.00. Which may end up having the same problem. I am done with Amazon. There are too many other better tablets out there for just a little more money.

1

Douglas Brown
13

Third reply (at top) mentioned an eBay item to replace the internal USB power/data connector in the Kindle Fire. Has anyone done this repair? btw, this item is not soldered (V1) so any mention of soldering is not correct. The connector is actually sandwiched between the upper and lower motherboard.

Anyway, that link goes to a sale item that does not look exactly like the Kindle connector. My Kindle Fire's connector has wire mesh on one side and the other side has 3 metal prongs for making contact with the motherboard when the top and bottom boards are screwed together.

That is why I'm wondering if anyone has done this repair with that eBay connector and had it work (eBay picture does not show the prongs - my blurry pictures attached). If you have the right tools and you have some experience with taking things apart (tinkerer), the tear-down does not take long (15 minutes). But you need to buy some small plastic prying tools and a tiny phillips-head screwdriver. Anyway, got it apart, now just want to confirm the item is actually correct.

Background: My Kindle Fire is not charging because it does not seem to make a solid connection with the charging chord anymore (been getting worse and worse and finally not working at tall).

Douglas Brown, any chance you could add some good images to your answer? That way we could may be properly identify the USB connector. My concern is that the image posted on that particular service are purposely misleading.

Yes, I actually did upload photos. They show-up (at least in my browser - Chrome) at the bottom of the page with a tab called "Images". That seems to be the way to share images on this site. I did ask the eBay company and they mentioned that there are some rare versions that look a little different. But for $19 (rip off for that part, but cheap compared to buying another Kindle) I went ahead and purchased to give it a try. If it does not work (wrong part) I can at least give others reading this post the heads-up and some picture to identify if they have the more common connector (or the more rare connector like mine).

Douglas Brown,

1

Paul
13

Humm, as a micro electronics repair technician, who routinely works repairing electronics under the microscope it does not surprise me that the main board power connection is having mechanical failure. I have seen this a lot in different products and, it's just too bad that the designer of the Kindle HD product which we own and, is now having intermittent power connection problems as well did not have the foresight to adhere the connection soundly to the mainboard before releasing this product to the public. I have not open my kindle yet however, am thinking the best solution is to avoid repeat failure by redesigning said power connection. Depending on what I find when I get in there will determine what is done to repair the power connection to a more robust design. I'm thinking a USB 2.0 to USB 2.0 will be the best solution and, will just need to figure out a way to route the needed wiring.

1

Kara Pritchard
13

Most of these jacks can be re-secured without replacing. They just don't flow enough solder through the joints on the board so they break off the board pretty cleanly. If folks would put their kindles away while charging them it would help a lot (also, if they wouldn't try to plug in the cables upside down it would help too :-) I usually can save and re-use the original jack at least 75% of the time that I repair these.

Just search on ebay for kindle fire usb charge port and you'll find many $15 or less replacement jacks if you need one to repair your own and you're comfortable with tiny solder work. These aren't your HAM radio kind of solder repairs though, closer to jewelry soldering, so judge your skills fairly.

1

Larry
13

I found this site yesterday, as I been having the same problem for over a year. My backround is an electronics design engineer in the powwer area. I have taken my Kindle apart several times, and thought the intermitten problem was the micro USB connector. But I thought it was the contacts that interface with the USB cable. After reading on here some of the post, I took it apart again this morning. This time I took the USB connector out of the frame and looked at it under a microscope. The interface connector pins were fine, but the pins that make conncetion the board above were really oxidized, especially the negative pin. In my opnion thats the real problem. It's a bad design from the get go.

I then wired brushed the pins, and bent them foward a bit, reassembled the unit. It started charging as soon as I pluged it in. This connector would have been ok to use if it were soldered to the board, but mold to the plastic case would had to have been changed to give it clearence to fit in, without distorting it when assembled.

Larry E.

Thanks Larry ... this sounds like the plausible problem and answer ... greg y.

gsy,

0

Paul Karafiol
1

I tried this repair on my son's kindle fire. I found I had to go all the way down to taking off the frame; then I found that my micro USB connector wasn't actually soldered in--but did look like it needed to be replaced. Now I'm trying to figure out where to find one ;-).

Edited by: Paul Karafiol ( )

0

tng5737
1

I don't believe that you have to go all the way down to the frame. Follow the guide on this site. The motherboard is easily removed. The soldering on the usb is more difficult but can be done with a proper soldering/de-soldering workstation. Those pins are extremely small and close together. Also, it is kind of awkward to get a soldering pen in there so your best bet would be to use a little soldering paste with a heat source strong enough to melt the solder. It can be done.

Still trying to find a good part number for the part.

0

DJ Allen
1

I was told when I called about my Kindle Fire that because it was dropped, or some other user error, they will not replace it. Frustrated because it wasnt dropped, the USB issuees started before that and the fire works perfectly, just doesnt charge worth a crap.

One of the reasons people like me like to fix things themselves is for reasons just like this. I never saw once that there was a common problem because I kept thinking it was the cord I was using. Plus...I dont have an income at all, so I have to fix issues like this on my own.

0

elleciad
1

There is a guy that does the Kindle Fire USB repair on ebay and he has a video on YouTube that goes into detail about the repair. This is not an endorsement, this is just information. This is my son's second Kindle Fire. It is under warranty and I am going to exchange it for another Kindle Fire. Hopefully, they have improved the issues, as I am not going to spend extra money to repair it or I may just find another similar reader.

0

todmanac
1

OK, I've been having problems for over a week trying to get my daughter's Kindle Fire to come on and to get it to charge. I finally got it to work today by tapping the back of the Kindle with a pencil (yes it sounds weird, but it worked)...and gently tapping the Kindle on my desk. Maybe I just got lucky....my daughter is gonna be so happy that I got it to work...can't wait for her to come home from school to see it.

0

vvfaithvv
1

Buy a new port and try replacement I saw them for $16.00 on Amazon

File a civil suit against kindle class action involving multiple people

vvfaithvv,

0

Sandie
1

Amazon has the part for sale for $10.75. Chromo Inc USB Jack / Port Receptacle Replacement Part for Amazon Kindle Fire 1st Gen - Micro Type-B Is doing the solder still necessary?

Has anyone gotten Amazon to stand behind their bad design and repair or replace a Kindle Fire 1st Gen.?

0

Harry
1

This kindle is rubbish I can assure you. It is amazing that Amazon is shamelessly making a boatload of money from us but they are unwilling to stand by the integrity and quality of their kindle product. This is a disgrace!!!!! They are bragging about start using drone technology but cannot guarantee us a kindle experience with a reliable usb? Shame on amazon! shame on you amazon! Shame.

This Week: 1,049

This Month: 2,494