0

Brandon
11

Anyway to change iPhone 4s from CDMA to GSM?

Okay so I have an iphone 4s locked to Verizon/CDMA on ios 5.1.1. I am trying to unlock it to GSM but everything I have tried to achieve unlocked status has failed. (jailbreak unlock using SAM, factory unlock) Is there anyway i could perform a hardware mod and remove the CDMA processor and replace it with a GSM processor? Or are the two so different that it would most likely not fit or recognize it? Any assistance in this would be appreciated.

Edited by: Brandon ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

2

Brandon, the iPhone 4S is a world phone," it will support both GSM and CDMA networks. Regardless of your carrier, you can be sure that the micro-SIM slot will be there to accept your GSM micro-SIM cards, as well as any CDMA "roaming SIM."" source That would mean that there are no hardware mods, but you will require plenty of FW mod. You will get more information about this on here and here as well. If you are really looking to do that, check on here, or go the Verizon way if you are a current customer in good standing, check here. As you can see there is plenty of information out there, and ultimately it all depends on you. Hope this helps, good luck.

I appreciate your speedy response but have a couple questions/clarifying facts to add. First of all I've browsed many different forums and it seems that there is no definitive, clear answer. Most people are saying that even with an unlock, I still would not be able to use this on either AT&T or T-Mobile, it would only gain service outside the US. That is also my concern with the Gevey sim, although I have just brushed the surface of research into Gevey I feel it would just unlock it for outside US service. I am also not a verizon customer and am most likely not on good terms with them as I bought this phone off craigslist and I believe it was stolen/lost as it has a bad esn on it.

Brandon,

Also with that Gevey Ultra S it says as a warning on ApplenBerry that, "The GEVEY™ Ultra S does not support SMS and MMS functionality in CDMA iPhones running iOS 5.1.1. Upon reboot, the default SMS and MMS settings will overwrite any manually inputted settings or GEVEY™ pre-programmed settings. There is no solution for this issue in iOS 5.1.1. GEVEY™ Ultra S for CDMA does support SMS and MMS for iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1" Idk if I am reading this correctly but from my understanding it sounds like MMS and SMS does not work correctly with Gevey. If that is true then that poses a problem.

Brandon,

First off, thank you for accepting my answer. Second,you are right with what you read. It will be a definite issue. Third, none of that will resolve this issue " I believe it was stolen/lost as it has a bad esn on it"

So basically the most I can do with this is use it as a large ipod touch?

Brandon,

That's what it looks like :( but it's a cool iPod

0

jackieliu282
1

There is a new Gevey ultra S CDMA kit,and I think it will definitely solve your issue.

0

Meghu doshi
1

CDMA or Code Division Multiple Access. GSM phones are preferred by people who travel outside their countries and often need to change the carriers.

0

Montie Taru
1

you can look up your problem with this phone on you tube their is a video on how to unlock bad esn cdma phone to be used on at&t and other sim card

0

huzaifa moazzam ali
1

I dont've sim slot is there any app to connect my gsm sim?

This Month: 2,011