0

Ted Lundberg
11

How do I upgrade HDD to SSD?

I just got my Asus x202 Vivobook and I want to replace the harddrive that currently in it with an SSD. Is there anybody who has already done this and if so, what size on the SSD will fit in the computer and is it possible to do without having to modify the harddrive chassi in any way?

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , Ted Lundberg ( )

1

John Savio

Hi, read through the links provided below which should provide u with the answers. Write back on what u think. Good luck.

http://liliputing.com/2012/11/asus-vivob...

http://www.minimachines.net/a-la-une/sou...

1

Oddjob
13

Here is how I did it:

PROLOGUE

Just to be on the safe side I make two system images (see part 2), one before I do anything else as insurance in case anything goes wrong. Then I make another one after the shrink disk and partition rearrangement under Part 1. This latter system image is used under point 6 and 7.

1)

I bought a Crucial 256gb 7mm SSD. Measured in gigabytes this drive is smaller than the original HDD inside the Vivobook so I used EaseUS Partition Manager on the original HDD in order to shrink the Data partition and to move the recovery partition from the end of the disk to the middle of the disk. The point is to make the size of the HDD to appear less than the size of the SSD. I shrank the HDD to approx. 200gb

-Shrink disk alone will not suffice when the recovery partition is at the end of the HDD, it must be moved. EaseUS Partition Manager will do the job smoothly.

2)

Now, With a HDD that in gigabytes appears smaller than the SSD, I use Windows own system image feature to make a system image on an external hard drive:

Control panel -> System and Security -> File History -> Windows 7 File Recovery -> Create System Image

Next I create a "System Repair Disk" on an external DVD RW

3)

I Connect the brand New SSD to the Vivobook via a SATA to USB cable and go to disk management in order to initialize and format the SSD so that it becomes detectable by the BIOS.

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools / create and format hard disk partitions

4)

Turn off the PC, unplug everything, take of the back panel - slow and careful ! it can break, mine got a slight tear because I was too quick

remove the original hard drive and insert the New.

Connect the external DVD Reader with the "System repair disk" DVD inside it.

Connect the external HD With the system image.

5)

Turn on the PC, push and hold Escape or F2 so you'll get into the BIOS

a) switch to "Boot" and set "Launch CSM" to enabled

b) switch to Security and set "Secure boot Control" to disabled

c) change boot sequence to boot from external DVD reader

d) Press F10 to save and exit

6) restart PC, DVD spins up and you’ll get into the Windows Recovery OS. go to Advanced Options -> System image recovery

some images:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/226...

7) from here everything is smooth sailing and self explanatory, Your disk image will be copied over to the SSD and the pc will reboot, remove the external hard drive so it boots into Windows and not into the system repair DVD again.

You can now go back into the BIOS and change back the Things you altered under (5)

I really love my ASUS Vivobook now that it has a fast SSD, The boot is lightening fast :-)

Best wishes,

Oddjob

oddjob, Thank you so much. I followed your instructions exactly and it worked great! No problems along the way. I installed a 120GB SSD drive in my ASUS vivo book. Boot up time to desktop went from 45 seconds to 10 seconds!

Aaron Hill,

0

Feargal Ryan
1

I installed an SSD to mine last weekend an boy does it make a difference. The original hard drive was an obvious bottleneck in the original setup and the entire computer is far snappier now.

It was a little difficult to install win8 as I was trying to piece together the snippets of information I could find around the web.

Get the back off the vivobook by unscrewing the 9 screws on the underside of the unit. The plastic backing will then require a little bit of a tug but the way it snaps on means there is little risk of breaking anything off during this process (so don't worry!!)

The HDD then unscrews easily and you can replace it with your choice of SSD. *NB* the fitted hard drive is only 7mm high and the standard SSD size is 9mm so get a low profile version if you can. I had a Crucial SSD which did not fit - my solution was to simply strip the SSD down to the PCB and install it naked!

OK- get the back back on and grab yourself a copy of Windows 8 RTM English, 64-bit (x64) and burn the iso to disk or use a tool to make a bootable USB stick.

Now, when you boot the vivobook with your boot media connected you may get in to the windows installer or else you may end up in the BIOS (or whatever its called now!) you want the BIOS, if you dont get it then reboot whilst hitting F2. In the BIOS disable fast boot and look for the Boot Priority order, you need to move your external boot media so it is selected as the primary boot device. Hit F10 to save changes and exit.

From here on I found it really easy going. There was no need to enter a windows activation code or anything as that’s embedded in the BIOS. On that note, I have seen some people say on the web that during their installation they turned off “Secure Boot Control” I did not and I found it all to work fine.

Now install drivers and download updates and enjoy your nifty new computer you lucky devil!

I really like this little machine!

To help here’s a link so some pics I snapped of my process. It’s not step by step but at least you can see someone else has been down the same road (I know lots of people have but I would have liked to see pics whilst I was trying.)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sz245ifpx7qym...

Best of luck.

0

Kelley Jensen
1

Great help! Thanks.

I will instal Windows 8 on SSD first using other computer as I usually do. It's much easier and simple. When you plug the new SSD in Asus, it's ready to go already.

Somebody told me that the laptop lost" touch " function on the screen after installing a new system ? Is that true? That's why I still haven't taken the action.

Kelley Jensen,

0

jay
1

I just ran asus backtracker against the hdd onto a blank usb drive, disconnected the hdd and replaced it with the ssd then booted into the backtracker usb drive. This restored the recovery partion to the ssd, resizing done automatically with restore partition intact.