1

Eggs Green
13

How to recover (internal data from) completely dead/powerless phone?

My son dunked my Evo 4G LTE under a foot of water. It was still on, so I powered it off by holding the top button down, then dried it out in rice for several days. Plugged it in, powered it on - amazing! Looked great! Had to leave for work, by the time I arrived an hour later the phone was a brick - no power, no reset holding the top button (with or without volume up or down), when connected to a computer via USB it neither registers no demonstrates any sign of power.

My main concern is the first four months of my daughter's life in video and photo stored on the phone's internal storage (android "phone memory"). I know, I should have backed it up, but I have two in diapers so best practice sometimes falls by the wayside. I did not have automatic upload set up via dropbox or google.

The phone is under warranty, sprint offered a refurbished for $35 - so I know I can get a working phone back, but I'll gladly opt to pay for a new phone and rip this one apart to get my data back.

Questions for the pros:

1. Is there any hope of recovering the data by recovering the phone? I'm not much of a hardware hacker so this would be easiest for me.

. 1a. Could it just be the battery is trashed? Is it possible to get/replace just the battery?

. 1b. Since USB doesn't bring power, could it be part of the power "subsystem," something that I could independently replace?

-

2. Alternatively, does anyone out there know how to get to and read this phone's internal storage?

. 2a. Is it a card or chip that can be removed and accessed outside of a phone?

. 2b. A card or chip that I could remove an put into another Evo 4g LTE, or that I could put into a replacement "motherboard" for the same phone?

. 2c. Can I solder some wires somewhere on the phone to try to access the data from another UI (this would be running in the tall grass for me, but I'll certainly try anything)?

For any solution, links to video or written narrative / instructions would be great, but even tips in the right direction or things that have worked on other phones could be helpful.

future reference dont use rice or try manually tuning off the phone, just go straight for the battery and pull it out and leave it out till it is 100% fully dry and clean.

qpunk,

2

Eggs Green, you may check if you have saved it to an SD card. The slot should be at the top of the phone, you will see a notch below the power button. Insert your fingernail or a coin into that notch and pull back to remove the upper portion of the back. your SD card (if you have one) should be in there. Use an external adapter on your computer to access it. If you do not have it, and were saving to the external NAND memory, there is no way (only for the very advanced hackers ;-)) to access that. If you are adventurous enough check on here. I would try and see if the phone will give you enough life after cleaning it and seeing if you can resolve some of the water damage. Use the iPhone 3G guide from here for a general idea on how to clean it. Here is a good video that will show you how to tear down your phone. After you cleaned it, replace the battery and reevaluate. If that does not work for you, I would suggest a data recovery company to get your videos. Hope this helps, good luck.

2

alxxxluvzpeaches
25

there's too many useless responses here people. the phone was in water, that means it surged out. it's not just a dead battery issue. it's a dead phone. Androids do the same thing iPhone's do, except iPhone's give people bragging rights, as far as usability is concerned, it's not worth the price/bill difference.

I just did the same thing (phone in water, rice, nothing). there appears to be no hope. I can install retrieval apps to my dead phone via the computer but I can't open them to activate them on the phone so they'll sync to the web access. I'm installing FolderSync (and there's several other apps that do the same) now which is automatically syncing my pics to GoogleDrive from now on. I'm screwed for the old pics but it won't happen again. all we can do is be better prepared next time.

Edited by: alxxxluvzpeaches ( )

0

knnnyaa
1

Year,don't worry,nothing is impossible ,you can try some special methods to recover your dead phone.

If it's the bettery problem ,you can try this way:

Remove the battery cover and battery . Wait a couple of minutes then replace the battery and cover. Turn on your phone; surprisingly, it powers up. Open phone applications as before and let it run until the phone turns off. It doesn't take long, when you have a battery that appears dead.Or if you have another one ,you can substitude for it.

If it's the SD Card problem ,you can try some tools.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , knnnyaa ( )

0

reha
145

Relax you need not to worry. Firstly remove the battery from the phone and make it dry completely and after that again switch on the phone and see whether it got turned on or not, If the problem is with the battery then easily you can get the new original battery. And if i talk about the internal storage then it is still safe as it is not overwritten by anything else, it is just invisible to you. You can use a software that recover data from phone or you can consult a a data recovery specialist company they will first diagnose your phone and then will tell you the exact problem with a complete solution for recovering your data from the phone.

0

blairmiller
1

This should be a sticky or added to a existing sticky.

Do you get no power when you turn on your phone? Nothing shows up on the screen at all. You have the worst brick possible that is recoverable. I wished this post came out before I did a warranty swap.

Here's how to fix: Credit goes to OP

- You need Odin program before starting.

1. Remove the battery, external SD card and SIM card.

2. Wait 10 seconds.

3. Open odin3

4. Insert battery.

5. Connect usb cable.

6. HOLD VOL+ and VOL- while plugging in USB

Got download screen and flashed with ODIN..

Let ODin finish.

Edited by: Walter Galan ( ) , blairmiller ( )

This Month: 3,195