0

hawkskye
1

Memory and HDD upgrades

I'm told the mackbook is a 64 bit CPU and therefore can run 32 GB of ram (or more) and a terabyte drive (or more). A friend did 16 GB RAM and 750 Gb drive with no trouble.

If this spec is correct it would extend the life of my machine indefinitely and allow me to vm other OSes for more flexibility.

So, the question is, how far can I take this realistically?

Oh, and do you offer the parts?

Serial number is "AATM"

Turns out to be a 13" not a 15" as previously thought.

Local shop told be the memory limit may be that 16gb sticks are not manufactured for laptops so limit is 16gb total. (Two 8gb sticks)

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , hawkskye ( )

I doubt if the RAM you mention can be achieved. The memory management is different on MAC and PC machines. Hard drive size is basically limitless. What are the last 4 characters of your serial number so we can define your machine and the physical RAM limitations. What version of OSX is installed so we can address RAM or disk limitations of the operating system.

ABCellars,

2

rj713

Hi, According to Everymac the memory limit for your computer is 8 GB. Link provided.

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/macboo...

+ rj713. Apple throttles things down on their systems' hardware, the memory management through the controller chip included. Even if this was not so, the amount of addressable memory would be limited by the operating system and/or firmware. Lion was the first true 84 bit OS put out by Apple. Thus the first version of OSX truly capable of addressing more than 4GB of RAM.

ABCellars,