0

Isabelle Montpetit
1

Accidental water damage : iPhone 4

My Iphone was put into water by accident for an hour or so while it was charging. I noticed it just after trying to open it afterward (the camera lense has tiny dew drops in it). Now it won't open but the flash is light. Do you think it's still salvageable? And if so, how? I've heard of putting a phone into a bag of rice to dry it. Urban legend or not?

It is now sitting in rice since last night. The drops of water in the lense are gone so I guess its workin but it still wont turn on. Should I wait a few more days? Or is it dead?

Edited by: Isabelle Montpetit ( )

Hi, I would follow ot's advice as soon as possible for best results.

rj713,

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Fortunately, I was able to simply get a replacement for free from the Apple Store.

Isabelle Montpetit,

4

Isabelle Montpetit, you can use rice or a thirsty bag, but only as a first aid. It will not prevent corrosion or damage. The very first thing I would recommend is to not even trying to turn your phone on. Remove the battery. Use this guide to disassemble your phone. Clean it the same way as shown here. That guide was written for a 3G but all the steps still apply to your phone. Once you got that accomplished, replace your battery, reassemble your phone and check for any further damage. Hope this helps, good luck

Thirsty Bag

Drying bag for liquid damaged electronics. The Thirsty Bag is a liquid absorption tool designed to dry all the water out of your phone after it gets wet, protecting it from liquid damage. The Thirsty Bag needs to be used immediately after an accident. Buy — 50+ available at 9.95 each.

1

Jason Gurrelo
13

Rice works great. Just dip the whole phone into there and let it sit and soak in all the water. Usually for days.

Thanks I will do that as soon as I get home.

Isabelle Montpetit,

How long do you think i have before permanent damage like rust or corosion. It's only been a few hours now. Again thanks a lot.

Isabelle Montpetit,

@ Isabelle Montpetit, I do not mean to hijack this from Jason Gurrelo. Corrosion can set in almost immediately, especially once the water is removed. The issue here is that water does not cause the corrosion, but the particles that are in it (i.e. minerals etc.). Rice etc. will not remove those, especially from under EMI shields, cable connectors, and cable ends. The longer one waits, the greater the chance of failure by corrosion.

1

Mark
461

What works fine for us, is to free the logic board and put it into a ultrasonic bath with distilled water...

Edited by: Mark ( )

@Mark What will I need to do that?

Isabelle Montpetit,

The ultrasonic cleaner: Amazon Distilled water out of the building supplies store. Now you remove the shields from the logic board. Put the board into the ultrasonic cleaner. Put the distilled water into the ultrasonic cleaner. Press start and now wash the board for about half an hour. After cleaning the board dry it over night and try again to start the phone.

Mark,