0

John Warren
1

Loud knocking sound in spin cycle?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out this loud knocking sound that happens when my Kenmore elite goes in to any spin cycle. It's even worse when it's in the high speed spin.

I've pulled off the back of the machine inspected the motor belt and pulley. It all looks fine. I also made sure that its level. But it still makes the noise. Any info will help.

John

Edited by: iRobot ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

Thank you for that info. I've been searching for the spider assembly on a Kenmore site and cant find anything under that name. Is there a def name for it? Also it is a front load washer. Thanks.

John Warren,

Is it an an unbalanced load?

Reagan Games,

I don't think so because when it empty and I give it a spin I can hear it hitting the outer tub @ one spot. It's kind of a scraping sound when empty and spun by hand.

John Warren,

1

GMAN463
97

If yours is a front load washer it's probably the spider assembly is cracked or broken. The spider assembly is how the shaft attaches to the drum. I would check your owners manual to see if it's under warranty. Some have a lifetime warranty on the drum but the outer tub might need replaced if it did damage to it. The outer tub probably is only under warranty for about 5 years.

Might be a worn out bearing.

remacberlin,

You will not find it for your washer it will be the whole drum your type of washer doesn’t sell it separate. This is a link to youtube video to replace the bearing but when he takes the outer tub apart you will see what I am talking about. Repair HE3 Washing Machine Bearing Noise The issue is the spider assembly is made of aluminum which is a problem because the detergent corrodes the aluminum and cracks. I had the same thing happen with my whirlpool washer. My washer was under warranty and I talked them into sending me the parts. They wanted to send a tech out but I told the lady nicely that I took it apart and knew what parts I needed so she placed the order and had it shipped to my house. That is why I said to check the back of the owner’s manual for the parts warranty. If you are not under warranty it could cost close to 600 to 1000 dollars to fix.

GMAN463,

0

Allan
1

There might be something stuck between the basket and the tub. Bra wires are not uncommon culprits

So how do you know? My Kenmore Elite was making lots of noise yesterday, so I stopped the spin cycle and found some crusty stuff near the edge of the basket. Don't know how long it's been there, but it is very rigid (see pics).

Jeff Christensen,

0

John Warren, check this site for more on the parts and diagrams of your machine. You can also get the manual from here. I would take a close look at the shock absorber mount and the suspension spring and counterweight. Make sure that the spring is still attached and the counterweight bolt properly tightened. Of course, you also want to make sure that your machine is level etc. I am not convinced that it is your bearing. Those usually make a whining or grinding noise at all times, not just at a certain location. The issues with your machine sound more like the drum is out of alignment. However, if you need a bearing kit, you can get that from here.

0

hhinsdale
1

Its the drum smashing into the tub. Next there will be bits of the fiber glass tub and then a leak when it makes a hole in the tub. Ask me how I know!!!!!!

0

Jay
1

How do you know?

0

hhinsdale
1

One of the braces on the back of the basket is cracked causing it to distort from being round causing the vibration and the basket to rub on the fiberglass tub wearing a hole in it (the bits and pieces on the seal when you open the door) and ultimately leaking water onto the floor.