The famous Ipod no right channel sound problem with a defective (ie worn-out) headphone socket.
It went surprisingly well. The slides did help, even though when I opened my Ipod, it seemed to look a bit different. Nevertheless. What didn't work was the 00 screwdriver, for the very tiny black screws. It was simply too big, did not catch. The screw is so tiny that I finally used a pointy tweezer of my girlfriend's. 3$ out of pocket, but that's okay. My Ipod is 7 years old and has been around the world about 7 times, so I could accept the fact that 2 of the screws - when screwing back in - did not catch. I left it as it is, and it seems to work. The space is crammed enough to keep the on/off switch in place. Kudos to the designers/engineers; it is amazing how the fit all that stuff into this restricted space Happy camper, me. I have thousands of rare songs on my Ipod and really would have hated to lose it.
Try it. In all likelihood you will succeed; and you will feel proud. Much better than frustrated at losing the Ipod!