Click Image To Zoom
California Prop 65
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Learn more >
Difficulty: Very difficult
Required ToolsAdd All Tools to Cart »
April 6, 2015
iPod Nano Gen 5 was not working. Suspected the battery died.
Methodically & carefully followed the guide and comments at the bottom of the guide along with suggestions in the Click-Wheel Guide.
Used a number of additional tools to expedite.
Replacement of battery and reassembly completed successfully.
See separate e-mail (to Annette Fuller at iFixit) with Step-by-Step comments. You are welcome to publish all or parts of the comments.
March 25, 2014
Not done yet
Not done yet
Not done yet
January 14, 2014
The battery in my 5th gen. IPod Nano had reached its life expectancy and would no longer hold or take a charge.
Unfortunately during the disassembly process I broke the ribbon on hold switch while trying to remove the battery from the case. Other than that things went well. Needless to say IPod is no longer repairable.
Two things-- Disassemble before ordering replacement parts, that way if you break something irreparable your not out the cost of parts you may not be able to use. This is a very difficult repair and should only be undertaken with extreme caution. These parts are very fragile. Having said that I would not hesitate trying again.
April 19, 2012
My Gen5 iPod is an amazing thing. Movies, FM, music, tons of room, etc. I used it to take moves and listen to podcasts on long trips. But I must have neglected the charging because it plain stopped working. Dead, Nada.
Being a couple years old, out of warranty, I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it. I found your web site, parts and pictures, and jumped right in.
The repair was supposed to be "very difficult", so I steeled myself for trouble. Nothing to lose, nothing to lose. Pretty tiny ribbon cables, lots of adhesive everywhere, never the right tool... After the thumb wheel popped out I found an extra part with a bitty spring that fell out. I couldn't see where it came from and was not mentioned in the repair. I'd deal with it later. Solder wick didn't work, so I did the heat and pry, heat and pry. I didn't have enough hands to align, press and heat to put the new battery in, but I have one of those two alligator clip holder things which took a while but made the operation work. My three little connections looked as good as new. Reassembly went quickly, forget adding more adhesive. The little black plastic extra part with the bitty spring fit into a slot under the middle of the thumb wheel and that made sense. The rest went fine, plugged it in and whoa - it's alive. I took a short movie and everything is like new. Amazing.
I wouldn't recommend this for anybody who hasn't done a lot of careful soldering. And you have to be gentle and patient and have magnifiers.