MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Hard Drive Replacement
Replace your MacBook Pro 17" Unibody's hard drive.
- Author: Andrew Bookholt
- Difficulty: Moderate
Use this guide to install a new hard drive in your MacBook Pro 17" Unibody for more storage space.
Embed this guide
Choose a size and copy the code below to embed this guide as a small widget on your site / forum.
- 1 TB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
Relevant Parts (continued)
- 500 GB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the part and all tools needed.
- 256 GB Solid State Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
- 128 GB Solid State Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the part and all tools needed.
- Universal Drive Adapter
- 500 GB 5400 RPM 2.5" Hard Drive
Remove the following ten screws securing the lower case to the upper case:
Three 13.5 mm Phillips screws.
Seven 3 mm Phillips screws.
Wedge your fingers between the lower case and the vent, and lift upward to release the clips holding the lower case to the upper case.
Remove the lower case.
If present, grab the plastic tab attached to the battery connector and pull it toward the front edge of the device. For Late-2011 models the battery connector will not have a tab and is simply a plug that inserts straight down into the motherboard--to remove pry the plug straight up.
Remove the two Phillips screws securing the hard drive bracket to the upper case.
Pull the hard drive connector away from the body of the hard drive.
Remove the hard drive from your MacBook Pro.