MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Replacement
Replace the hard drive in your MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012.
- Author: Andrew Optimus Goldberg
- Difficulty: Moderate
Upgrade your hard drive for more storage space! This guide will also show you how to replace the hard drive bracket.
Embed this guide
Choose a size and copy the code below to embed this guide as a small widget on your site / forum.
- 1 TB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
Relevant Parts (continued)
- 500 GB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
- 256 GB Solid State Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
- 128 GB Solid State Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
- Universal Drive Adapter
- MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009 to Mid 2012) Hard Drive Bracket
Remove the following ten screws securing the lower case to the upper case:
Three 13.5 mm (14.1 mm) Phillips screws.
Seven 3 mm Phillips screws.
Using both hands, lift the lower case near the vent to pop it off two clips securing it to the upper case.
Remove the lower case and set it aside.
Use the edge of a spudger to pry the battery connector upwards from its socket on the logic board.
Bend the battery cable slightly away from its socket on the logic board so it does not accidentally connect itself while you work.
Remove two Phillips screws securing the hard drive bracket to the upper case.
Lift the hard drive by its pull tab and pull it out of the chassis, minding the cable attaching it to the computer.
Remove the hard drive cable by pulling its connector straight away from the hard drive.