MacBook Pro 15" Unibody 2.53 GHz Mid 2009 Hard Drive Replacement
- Author: Walter Galan
- Difficulty: Moderate
Upgrade your hard drive for more storage space!
Embed this guide
Choose a size and copy the code below to embed this guide as a small widget on your site / forum.
- P6 Pentalobe Screwdriver 2009 MacBook Pro Battery
- Phillips #00 Screwdriver
- T6 Torx Screwdriver
- 1 TB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
- 500 GB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the part and all tools needed.
- 256 GB Solid State Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the drive and all tools needed.
- 128 GB Solid State Drive, Upgrade Kit This kit contains the part and all tools needed.
- Universal Drive Adapter
Remove the following ten screws securing the lower case to the upper case:
Seven 3 mm Phillips screws.
Three 13.5 mm Phillips screws.
Using both hands, lift the lower case near the vent to pop it off two clips securing it to the upper case.
Remove the lower case and set it aside.
Three Pentalobe screws secure the battery to the upper case. They can be removed with this special driver.
Remove the two exposed five-point Pentalobe screws along the top edge of the battery.
Use the tip of a spudger to bend back the finger of the "Warning: Do not remove the battery" sticker while you remove the five-point Pentalobe screw hidden underneath.
Lift the battery by its plastic pull tab and slide it away from the long edge of the upper case.
Tilt the battery back enough to access the battery cable connector.
Pull the battery cable connector away from its socket on the logic board and remove the battery from the upper case.
Remove two Phillips screws securing the hard drive bracket to the upper case.
Lift the the retaining bracket out of the upper case.
Lift the hard drive by its pull tab and pull it out of the chassis, minding the cable attaching it to the computer.
Remove the hard drive cable by pulling its connector straight away from the hard drive.