Page 1 of 1

Macbook dead after spilled Coke

Flag Reply by axel

<p>A friend spilled a Coke into her black Macbook (it was turned off at the time). Now the computer won't turn on and when I plug in the power cable the light on the cable plug blinks rapidly green/red/green<wbr />/red/...</p> <p>What's my best course of action? I was thinking to completely disassemble it, clean/wash the parts as best as possible, and reassemble. Any hope of that working? Is it ok to get the innards wet as long as I dry them thoroughly before reassembling?</p> <p>Also, does anyone know what the blinking power light means?</p> <p>Thanks!!</p>

Flag Reply reply by axel

<p>More info:</p> <p>The battery charge lights show no charge - no lights light up when I press the battery status button.</p> <p>When I remove the battery and plug in the power cable, the power cable light stays green but the computer still doesn't respond to the power switch.</p>

Flag Reply reply by rj713

<p>By all means clean the computer and let dry completely. I would the try with the power cable only first--if that doesn't work try the battery only. If the computer is still dead you probably have a bad board -- check out the repair guide listed above for your computer. Ralph</p>

Flag Reply reply by finny108

<p>This happened to me with vodka and coke.I placed laptop in front of heater that was turned on for few days. Eventually turned on.Thats when i had the battery and charger lights like yours.So I opened up the laptop. And simply went over it with a hoover and left it dry out for a while(let fresh air at it). Its back working almost as good as new, The battery doesn't last as long fair enough. Im glad I didn't smash it up :) I never touched any of the<wbr />d luck!</p>

Flag Reply reply by axel

<p>Update: after cleaning and reassembling everything I now get:</p> <p>- Green light after plugging in magsafe plug even though battery is dead.</p> <p>- Holding down the power button for 5 seconds turns the magsafe light red and the battery charges.</p> <p>- No other response to the power button - no POST, no noise, no power light - just dead.</p> <p>- Disconnecting and reconnecting the magsafe always requires a 5-second power button press to initiate charging.</p> <p>I'm guessing logic board is dead? :-/</p>

Flag Reply reply by machead3

<p><strong>What did you clean it with?</strong></p> <p><em>How dry can it be? </em>72hrs+ to &quot;air&quot; dry. You can point a fan at it if it's open (if it's closed you'll just shove any excess moisture around).</p> <p>Did you dry under the logic board?</p> <p>Pack in a rubbermaid or trash bag with some desiccant for a day or more?</p> <p>N.</p>

Flag Reply reply by axel

<p>I completely disassembled it - pulled the logic board, etc - then submerged the circuit boards (logic, ram, magsafe) one at a time in water and used a toothbrush to brush off all corrosion and dirt, then used compressed/cann<wbr />ed air + hairdryer to dry each component, then reassembled once all surfaces had appeared dry for 12 hours. Maybe I should have used distilled water for the cleaning...?</p>

Flag Reply reply by machead3

<p>Yea - alcohol would have helped too... There' lots of ions in &quot;tap water&quot;... also there can be moisture under components you can't see.</p> <p><strong>You might still be able to dry it out more if you haven't shorted out some component</strong> leave the top off and pack it in a desiccant for 48 hrs (trash bag or rubbermaid container). Try it again.</p> <p>Good Luck,</p> <p>N.</p>

Flag Reply reply by Sparky

<p>Mine was a coffee spill on my laptop bag that leaked through the zipper right onto the laptop! I kept the laptop vertical, pulled the battery immediately and when I got home I did the following:</p> <p>1. Used a small high power vacuum cleaner and vacuumed every external crevice for any free liquid coffee that might be lurking waiting to flow inside once the case was opened.</p> <p>2. Armed with WD-40, a can of compressed air, chamois strips, cotton-tipped swabs, lint-free cloth, camel-hair acid brushes and the appropriate tools, I did a near-complete tear-down, keeping the laptop as vertical as possible so any drops would run down the inside of the case, and not onto circuitry.</p> <p>3. I did a careful inspection of all contact surfaces (like where the memory cards go) and found small traces of coffee that needed to be blown out. Using an chamois behind the contact kept coffee from being sprayed onto other parts of the laptop.</p> <p>Most of the problem seemed to be related to the minute quantities of moisture under the power on button. it took several attempts at blowing air into the crevice before the laptop would come on.</p> <p>The IT guy at my school told me that a circuit board can be cleaned of dirt and dust by using an acid brush (the cheep kind that you get for about .25 apiece for spreading flux) lightly dipped in WD-40. You don't want drips, just a light smear all over the circuit board. It displaces any moisture and picks up lots of dust which leads to shorts. ( his words, not mine.) It makes the circuit board look great. I don't know if it leads to attracting more dust in the long run though. The point is to displace any moisture.</p> <p>After that I was able to reboot after a couple of tries. I zapped the PRAM and did a systems test and all is good.</p> <p>Mark</p>

Flag Reply reply by lemerise

<p>Maybe Sparky has a point here. Your power switch could be toasted. You should try to boot the MacBook with a known working top case.</p>

                                        Page 1 of 1

Reply to: Macbook dead after spilled Coke