0

David Jonas
134

Bottom case swap between late-08 to mid-09 A1286?

I bought a mid-09 MBP to replace my late-08 that had an unfortunate accident with a bottle of Pepsi last year. This new computer has the solid base, as opposed to the one on my late-08 model which had the battery door. Can I swap the old battery door-having base onto the newer mid-09 model?

Edited by: David Jonas ( ) , machead3 ( )

0

machead3
99k

No - The "Mid-2009" models have a built-in non-swappable battery design -- like the previously introduced and subsequently discontinued MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 17-Inch (Unibody) -- and this battery is not designed to be removed or serviced by end users. The battery is completely different to the point even with a "door" you couldn't swap it. I doubt other internal components would line up/fit the older bottom.

If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted.

That's what I needed to know. [sarcasm] Gotta love Apple and their "we're not going to allow you to work on it" mentality. [/sarcasm] Hence why I love this site so much.

David Jonas,

Apple has gone the way of many industries (auto for example) DIYers are not capable of repairing products, and many parts are not designed with repair in mind (it's not cost efficient), the soluiton is to just replace/discard entire components.

machead3,