0

Igor
1

iMac Dual HD, how does Apple do it with the Optical Drive?

Looking at several iFixIt articles and videos, I did not find a way to do something like what apple offers: 1 HDD, 1 SSD AND the Optical Drive.

I did find someone mentioning that when you configure your computer like that from Apple, it comes with an additional port. Is that true?

If so, would you guys happen to have an article or high-res image of such board?

Thank you.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , David Hodson ( )

1

David Hodson

Apple mounts the SSD underneath the optical drive with a proprietary bracket. All iMacs of the same generation (2011 EMC 2428 and 2429) have the extra socket on the logic board. We have a kit that uses super strong double sided tape to hold the drive in place underneath the optical drive.

Edited by: David Hodson ( )

David, thank you very much. That answers my question perfectly. I had not found that kit and assembling instructions.

Igor,

0

Dan
82k

Igor Is this what your looking for? iMac Intel 27" Mid 2011 Dual Hard Drive Kit Using it you can install your SSD or 2nd HD just behind the CD/DVD unit.

iMac Intel 27" Mid 2011 Dual Hard Drive Kit

Install an additional 2.5" SATA hard drive in your Mid 2011 27" iMac. Kit Includes: Custom SATA power and data cable Custom-cut 3M mounting tape Two Heavy-duty Suction Cups 26 Piece Bit Driver Kit ESD-safe Spudger. Compatible with All Mid 2011 27" iMacs. — 16 available at 49.95 each.

Hey Dan, I saw that kit before thanks. Although my previous answer was not clear, let me rephrase it: "I had not found that kit and assembling instructions when I searched for them before." Thank you and David, I totally got what I was looking for. =)

Igor,