Hey, Oldturkey03, thanks for the quick answer. Turns out I forgot to plug in one of the terminals in the upper part of the dryer......once I connected that we had action! The wife seems to think all is ok but have been busy & haven't been able to give it a real test with a day of laundry. The quick test we did do drying a blanket seemed OK and no E1 code appeared.
I wanted to add that the amount of lint in the area under the lint screen was unbelievable.................given that the slot is so small no brush or vacuum attachment could ever clean that! Inside the cabinet was bad too-found some scorched lint in the element area as well. Too bad the manufacturers don't make it easier to access these areas as a safety precaution-no wonder there are so many dryer fires!!
Thanks again for the help,