2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, or 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

Screen Stains that won't go away

My flatmate used my new MBP 15" Retina today, got finger stains on it and then went to clean it. They say just with tap water, but there are stains all over the screen like a smudgy mist that won't come off - i think they used some kind of washing up liquid or soap.

I've tried a micro fibre cloth, and special bought lcd cleaner, but its not worked, the smudges are all there still.

What is the best way to get rid of them if it is caused by some kind of soap? OR am i looking a paying for a costly replacement?

Please help!

Sorry to heat that.

But if it doesn't come off, it is probably not something ON the screen, but rather the AR or anti-glare coating coming OFF. If that is the case it it non-reparable, will only grow and to fix it the screen case must be replased - something that is not covered by warranty... still as of late January 2015, Apple refuses to address the problem. Replacement will cost you something like 1/3 of the original price.

See this link and please contribute if you share this problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/606...

Wkr

Joakim

I have same problem top around the camera. Tried everything listed here but did not remove it. My Mac Book is only 8 months old; never been out of the house.

I will still take to Apple Store and see what they say.

UPDATE Send your complaint with attached picture of your screen to Elaine Embrink, Relations Executive EMEIA, eembrink@apple.com

It is important that everybody writes to Elaine. For Apple does not recognise this as a general problem, ONLY as something affecting individual users. And as long as they do this, they can distance themselves from it. Therefore we must ALL complaint individually - and it must continue.

A useless exercise in futility. Sent email with details; no acknowledgement or reply. Others have said same. They do not care and are not going to replace without a Class Action suit. I am really disappointed about Apple.

I had the same problem, had. My MacBook Pro Retina 2012 15" had smears on the screen that wouldn't go away with water and careful cleaning, so I thought what the heck, it's glass, I'll clean it like glass. That was a mistake, the anti-reflective coating on the display is extremely fragile and of course some of it came off when I cleaned the display.

After half a year of back and fourth with Apple for several other problems with the Notebook, Apple replaced the entire motherboard after it overheated and I decided it was worth paying for a new display - so I bought one online, as Apples price is around 800€ and you can get replacement screens for the notebook starting at 250€. Once the Notebook was 90% a new notebook I sold it and decided I would not buy one again. I'm using an iMac and an iPad these days, despite needing a notebook on the go.

If you have to use a Notebook, buy the retina and immediately before you boot it even once, apply a screen protector that sticks though static charge.

I would be contacting Apple about this. You're still under warranty and this could be a "undiscovered feature" of retina displays. I only found one thread about this at the Discussion board - normally that's where this sort of chatter gains momentum. (If you have to create an ID to use the link, you could try your new Apple ID, or just make one they are free)

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Apple refuses to cover this problem even during warranty. They say it is caused by carrying your laptop (portsble laptop, mind you) in a bag or from wrong cleaning.

Go to www.shameonapple.com to find email addresses and send your written complaint to them and to Apple, 1 Infinite Loop, Copertino, CA some area code.

Lets put max pressure on Apple.

It is a shame, as how should I carry my laptop(s) then? I am always using a bag.

Have same problem. Mac Book is less than year old. Started about 4 weeks ago. It has never been in a case or even out of the house. Will take to Apple store and see what they say.

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro.....Apple needs to address this....at least have a warning so you know not to clean the screen..... awful customer service.....

I have the same problem , i thought it is because either i have cleaning my screen with apple special cleaner or because I carry lap top in my bag, so what is the solution

Keep your eye on news about a possible Class action suit

Retina MacBook Pro ‘Staingate’ might be getting its own class action suit

http://bgr.com/2015/07/10/retina-macbook...

Please add the comments to the discussion on https://discussions.apple.com/message/27...

Lets put pressure on Apple.

With kind regards

Joakim Larsen, Denmark / Ethiopia

My MacBook Pro Retina 2012 has transformed parts of it's display into a golden mirror. It's loosing it's coating too and my Apple authorised retailer that does repairs told me they had lots of MBPr 2012 losing their coating already. It's a problem with all the MacBook Pro Retinas from 2012 - someone should sue.

It is hard to get Apple to cover something unusual without a lot of public pressure or going to court. They love to sell but not to support.

Paul Sanders - I hope you have followed up on the post right below this one. Don't take the first NO you hear as the only answer... ask to talk with the supervisor...From the FB page: 4rd Send your complaint with attached picture of your screen to Elaine Embrink, Relations Executive EMEIA, eembrink@apple.com

I sent her an email but I doubt she will read or even see it. Have seen other posts saying the same thing. Apple has no interest right now in making this good. It is too costly. However I have read where several have had their screens replaced but incidents are isolated and certainly not a pattern, My local Authorized Apple Reseller said absolutely no because it is only as Apple States, cosmetic. What a bunch of BS.

I have an I pad that I touch all day and not one stain; same with phone.

I left Windows few years ago but am beginning to believe it was a mistake. I had a Dell Notebook for years and not one stain on a much less expensive screen. Windows 10 looking better every day as are Samsung Phones and Laptops. Sorry Apple you and Mr. Cook brought it on yourself. Steve jobs must be furious about this.

I took the fourth no I got. believe me I was persistent but at some point you just have to accept that Apple doesn't care, because they can afford not to care.

I own a late 2013 MBPr and recently noticed shadow stain marks at the bottom-left of the screen. I made an appointment with the Apple agent/supplier. After a brief visual inspection and MRI test, a new retina integrated unit was ordered and fitted next day free of any cost to me.

The problem is a defective anti-reflective display coating whereby marks and stains appeared on the screen. The Apple agent confirmed that Apple acknowledged the issue and had launched a Quality Program to replace defective screens...

I hope this helps.

Maybe they used rubbing alcohol to clean it - or, you could try to clean it with rubbing alcohol. Apple says that the iPad and iPhone screens should not be cleaned with rubbing alcohol or any other chemicals because it can take the anti-fingerprint coating off - but I have no idea if the MBP retina screens also have this coating. Anyways, rubbing alcohol usually works removing things like this, but like another commenter said, it could be something from the factory that's still covered under warranty. If you want to take a chance, try rubbing alcohol. And then contact Apple if this doesn't help.

Maybe they used alchohol - manybe not. That fact is that is happens to a lot of users and Apple must accept their responsibility.

Help putting pressure on Apple

DO NOT use alcohol to clean a LCD screen. It is a solvent that can/will ruin the polarized film on the screen. Without that film you will have a blank white screen.

Costco optical micro fiber cloth did the trick for me (issued with their eye glasses). Took 5 min of polishing. Small circles with slight pressure.

Lucky you - it was not the anti-glare coating coming off.

There is a facebook group and a online petition regarding this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/60757290...

https://www.change.org/p/apple-replace-o...

I have this problem on my MBP 15" late 2014, chatted with Apple yesterday and they said this is a known problem that they will fix even though my warranty had run out.

Made an appointment at an Apple Center and they will replace the screen at no charge. So it seems Apple as swung regarding this issue. Good news!

@joakimahlen We cant, they dont care enough. But i did hear they lost the class action law suit on this case, so just bring it up mentioning the model to the guy at the "Genius" Bar and he has to fix it for you. I have my appointment scheduled for next week

I used Madarzone, effectively a parazone, with cotton. Cleans off without pressure. Had tried ethanol, paraffin etc before and all didn't work.

Max will be eternally grateful.