Tablet

Repairs for most tablet computers. Because of their small size and frequent use of adhesive, tablet repair is often more involved than laptop repair.

How can I fix the charging port on my Android tablet?

I put the charger in my tablet. I have to hold it down or pull it back to charge it but when I tried charging it today, I think I pulled it back little too far, and now it won't charge. I tried adjusting the charging port but it seems to be loose and refuses to charge. I used a USB connection to the laptop but the tablet turns on and says "force to shut down." So, I know it still works but I just can't charge it. I know it's not the charger. Does anyone have any suggestions to charge my tablet without the charger? Please, I really need help. Thank you.

My cousin has the same problem his charging port is broken.

by KATHERINE RANDLE

same.........

by RHODA LYNCH

What do I do this might be the last time I'm using my tablet!!:'( :'(

by mary abreu

If its under a year old don't wait there is a free warranty If its broke u don't need a warranty in the store Just call the manufacturer And tell them its broke and they will replace it hopefully

by wes mix

Thank you Ashley for posting this question because i am actually having the same problem to. :D Please help

by Amelia Winifred

Most Helpful Answer

asheley, since I do not know what make/model your tablet is, it will be difficult to be specific. Most of the charging ports are micro USB and soldered unto the logic board. A repair of the port would require you to disassemble your tablet, and to (most likely) de-solder the old port and replace it with a new one. Sometimes, it is just the solder that has come loose and might be fixable by just re-soldering. Replacement ports, if it is a standard connector, are usually available at places like Mouser.com or Digikey.com. Hope this helps, good luck.

what in the world that does not help

by kelis

Thank you oldturkey03 that's exactly what I need to do and I've been looking all over to find the part so I can solder a new one in. Know one seems to know what I'm talking about, but you hit the nail on the head. My son while trying to charge his tablet broke the little pins on the port that connect to the logic board because the connection was never tight and he had to wiggle it constantly to get it to charge. I wish these connections would have to click into place they're just to flimzy

by cre8tv1

I have the very same problem and dont know what to do. As I dont want to be without my samsung tab 3 If it has to go back to the shop. But I may not have anyother option.

by juliaannebennison

Did you get it fixed ? If so where did you go to fix it and how much did it cost ?

by imladyluck

What if you lost the receit and can't get the serial number

by Roshanna

Uhh..get a safety pin or any type of sharp pin. The charger port that's broken, stick the pin in and slide around the outsides, and see if any dirt comes out. If any does, then thats the problem, and if any doesn't, then YA CAN'T FIX IT. If you wanted to fix it, you would have to pay alot, so its no point if with that money you can just buy A NEW ONE! Hope I helped, good luck.

hanna robinss, this is a micro USB not a barrel connector. I am not sure where you learned that trick. Quite a diagnostician...

by oldturkey03

OH, wow, what is a diagnostician, if I may ask?

by hanna robinss

a specialist or expert in making diagnoses

by oldturkey03

Oh, wow, just mind your own bussiness, and let me say what I WANNA say.

by hanna robinss

I wish I could but not when the information is erroneous and misleading.

by oldturkey03

get the shaking app to charge it

You can buy the micro usb charge port from ebay for about $6 and I have replaced and repaired about 27 tablets so far with a 100% working repair on all. I charge $45 and u pay shipping. Text me @ 2562027874

by siskjames

how could i get an app with no charge

by cyrusabbasi712

Lol

by kiki

A app cant do that

by jahlilgarnes22

Yah an app can do that

by kiki

Push try charger down

Yeah

by kiki

More likely, Geek Squad wouldn't even know how to solder a pin, yet alone surface-mount devices. ;)

I thought a computer shop would know how to fix it at $65 an hour. They had no idea what I was talking about. That turn of events told me to learn how to do it myself.

by Rick

I hope this helps. This link will show you how to repair the charger port !!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxpLYf16fc

It really does work

by kiki

There's a lot of odd messages and some odd answers here too lol.

Although this is an old question, the answer is as relevant today as it was back then so here goes.....

Tablets come in all sorts of charging variations, they vary in the type of connection used, and the voltage they take. The actual socket to charge may be mini-USB, micro-USB, or a standard socket/pin type. The easiest to break are the socket/pin types. No matter what make of tablet those pins are rubbish - too small to be strong, and they are expected to be knocked all over the place while the tablets in use and charging. The USB types tend to be stronger, but again the micro-USB (as used on most mobile phones) as are again not very strong.

If your tablet charges off a socket/pin type, it can be 5volt up to 12volt to charge it, and if its charged using either of the USB types then it's a 5volt charge. But that's not connected with the initial question, so . . .

Some tablets (if you're very very lucky) will have both a socket/pin and a USB charging port - you'l only know this by testing it. Plug in a USB cable (most mobile chargers will do for this purpose - but they will charge v e r y slowly lol), and if it charges up then that's ok :-) If it doesn't then you most likely need to fit a new socket/pin inside it :-( Some tablets (its rare though) like the Acer Arconia A500, have the socket on a wire so it's really easy to solder in a new one :-)

Every design of tablet has its own way of being held together unfortunately, so it's not possible to explain each and every model, but it's worth mentioning that a well known video site has videos of most specific tablets, and also keep in mind to be very very carefull on taking them apart as the screens (both the touch panel and the actual digital display) are very very fragile and can crack with very little effort :-(

A simple way to test if your socket is broken is to turn off the tablet, and take a tiny stic (toothpicks are ideal for this) and VERY gently see if you can move the charging socket - this applies to both socket/pin or USB types. If it wobbles about, it's probably broken inside.

does not help

by stephanie morales

i have a rca android tablet and this might just work! but what mobile charger should i try? iphone?

by Emelia Decker The Wolf

I tried that an now the little silver thing comeing from tablet broke off on out side now I don't know what to do please can anyone help

by Michelle Vickers

Get a wireless charger

by jkvidro

Take the tablet apart and strip the board down to the Motherboard if you have solder experience take the soldering iron , and go on-line a buy a "flux Soldering pen" they are 3.99 on ebay and also get some desoldering braid replace the dc jack you might have a weak joint or a bent pin

This to me seems logical. This kind of soldering is actually not too difficult with a couple practice runs on some other junk devices and a steady hand.

by Dennis Cox

This is really only helpful to people that know what you are speaking about. Looking at most of these posts they are by very young people......and a few of us that understand but don't have luck opening things up and having them work after I close them. LOL.

by S Walker

in the instructions for the d2 tablet , it says DO NOT DIASEMBLE THE TABLET so the video from whoever put up that video is pretty much a waste of time.

Who's instructions are those. "DO NOT DIASEMBLE THE TABLET" means that they will sell you a new one for more money ;-). Definitely open it and fix things....

by oldturkey03

Haha. Pretty much everything says "do not disassemble"

by Duane

Roughly how much will this cost to repair at the store.? Any ideas please.

by juliaannebennison

It will cost over $150.00

by kiki

I used a flat head screw driver and put it in the part u plug the charger in and pulled it back and it worked for me

by Christian Brown

Dear,Jeff

I think I know how to fix it just buy a charger at Walmart they cost 40 dollars

He's already said the charging port is loose, and he's tried the cable throigh the laptop. It's the port, not the cable/plug.

by Duane

Some charger ports will not act right when you use the Walmart specials. I think that is what happened to mine. The main issue, if you have an Acer Iconica A3-A10 it's just crappy construction as said above. They are inexpensive and constructed NOT to last. Any slight bump thump or jiggle will cause it to screw up. Sadly this tablet of mine, while it seems like an easy open up an recorder fix, is only easy if you know what you are doing. Looks like I'm off to buy a quality brand tablet this time.

by S Walker

I was told that its not covered by the warranty.

by Samantha

That is BS! Acer has repaired (cough- cough) mine twice under warranty. The second repair is staring to fail. With all the electronics I have with charging ports, my Acer tab 10 is the only one that has been a pita.

by DR L

I called a local computer sales/repair shop and he quoted me $90-$160 depending on the Acer 10 model, Since my gf bought me this 13 mths ago I asked if she had gotten an extended warranty and she did. It goes to Assurion on Monday.

by DR L

I got my tablet back from Assuring and it's charging but the charger port was a bit loose when I got it back so it's only a matter of time before it fails again. The problem is poor design/engineering.

by DR L

i burn the inside of my tablet by uuseing the wrong charger?

The charger you used on it was rated higher mAh than the device was capable of using. Always check the numbers so you won't burn anything else up.

by Rick

My tablet dont work frist o hand buy it

if you could take out the battery you could buy another battery and a battery charger you could charge one while you use the other one then replace when low

You do realize that tablets were not meant to be opened up like phones? So this doesn't really work for tablet issues. I actually used your idea with my Samsung phone before it blew up my original battery. LOL.

by S Walker

I had the same problem, I called trio customer service, Nobody can do anything about it, your charger port is broken, you need to either get a new one or get it fixed. (Just get a new one).

Use the usb cord and plug it into your computer and just leave it alone for a couple hours and it should be charged a little

That is not always an option, most (if not all) RCA tablets will NOT charge from the USB port, the designated charging port (round plug) is the ONLY way you can get power to those tablets. It's ridiculous, but true.

by karenblitzer

This is a common problem you have to go buy a motherboard and repair the charger port I'm afraid to say it's not the charger

I get this problem quite often. I have a SMD/soldering station, but you can use a hair drier.

You need:

1. hot air source

2. new charger port

3. tweezers

Use tweezers to hold old port while you heat the solder points. Gently lift the old port until it lifts off the PBC board. Discard old port and pick up the new one with the tweezers the whole time keeping the area hot with the air. Set the new port on the board where the old one, was keeping the hot air on it. When it's ready to turn soft and pliable, anchor the port in the space. This process is known as "reflowing". It takes a few times to get better.

note: always have hot air moving, never still.

EVERYONE READ THIS!! from what I have gathered there are two ways in which this will have been caused. The first is some dirt or muck has got in to the charging. To fix this get a small needle or hair pin and try to clean it out. If this doesn't work it means it was caused by pushing in the charging cable too hard or the wrong way up, making the port it's self break. You will NOT be able to fix this. The best solution is to search into google "your tablet/phone name + charging port" for example: hudl 2 charging port. Now you can either go to a phone shop and ask them to put it in the tablet/phone or to sac money YouTube how to fit the port in your phone/tablet and go from there All the best of luck

this has happened to mine too i found out it is cheaper to replace the tablet then try to get it fixed i just bought a kindle for 49.99 on amazon brand new i hope this helps

If you have an old charger you can cut the end off and attach it directly to the battery. Worked for me once.

Score -1

That's a great way to start a fire.

by austin

Although it won't make any great explosions, Austin is right - there is a chance of a fire, but the most likely thing is you'll blow either the charger or the insides of your tablet.

Tablets all have the same battery voltage - 3.7v, and that battery can only be charged safely by the tablets circuit board trickle charging through to the battery.

While it's possible to hook the wires off a 5 volt power supply directly to the wires on the battery, it won't be charging it, it'l be pushing that 5 volts into it in a way thats very risky - the battery can swell up (easily enough to crack the delicate LCD panel inside), it can swell and go >pop<, it can gain too much charge and get so hot it can melt, or go on fire from a mix of the heat and more power coming in.

You can power a tablet by directly wiring a suitable voltage/amp power supply, but that should only be done to the same charging port connections that the original charger plugged in to - never directly to the battery Red & Black wires.

by philpeacock

If you can push the charger one way and it charges, just put a very small piece of electrical tape to secure it. Glue might work but if something goes wrong or you want to replace it you won't be able to take it off

by Kitty Cat

Then you would have a fire tablet that doesn't belong to Amazon!!!

by Erikson Teets

Take the back off the tablet. Locate the power connector....Micro usb. Remove and replace with new one.. job done. Remember to release the clamp on the ribbon cable connector. Xtech sell the part ...charging usb port ribbon flex cable...hope this helps..The part costs 5.95 GBP.

by Craig

Step 1 get a USB cord

Step 2 cut the charger and the USB cord and plug the other part into the computer

Step 3 plug the red part into the negative and plug the black part into the positive of your battery that you will see that has a negative and positive part

Last stop once your phone is charging you have to have a computer because the computers give a low voltage when you are charging your phone so if you have a computer I'm sure you do because you have a tablet you should be able to charge your phone and if it doesn't work for the red and the positive negative and the black and positive switch it around and that in your phone to start charging it that's all

Score -1

asheley will be eternally grateful.