Repairs for most tablet computers. Because of their small size and frequent use of adhesive, tablet repair is often more involved than laptop repair.

How can I fix the charging port on my Android tablet?

I put the charger in my tablet. I have to hold it down or pull it back to charge it but when I tried charging it today, I think I pulled it back little too far, and now it won't charge. I tried adjusting the charging port but it seems to be loose and refuses to charge. I used a USB connection to the laptop but the tablet turns on and says "force to shut down." So, I know it still works but I just can't charge it. I know it's not the charger. Does anyone have any suggestions to charge my tablet without the charger? Please, I really need help. Thank you.

My cousin has the same problem his charging port is broken.

same.........

What do I do this might be the last time I'm using my tablet!!:'( :'(

If its under a year old don't wait there is a free warranty If its broke u don't need a warranty in the store Just call the manufacturer And tell them its broke and they will replace it hopefully

Thank you Ashley for posting this question because i am actually having the same problem to. :D Please help

asheley, since I do not know what make/model your tablet is, it will be difficult to be specific. Most of the charging ports are micro USB and soldered unto the logic board. A repair of the port would require you to disassemble your tablet, and to (most likely) de-solder the old port and replace it with a new one. Sometimes, it is just the solder that has come loose and might be fixable by just re-soldering. Replacement ports, if it is a standard connector, are usually available at places like Mouser.com or Digikey.com. Hope this helps, good luck.

what in the world that does not help

Thank you oldturkey03 that's exactly what I need to do and I've been looking all over to find the part so I can solder a new one in. Know one seems to know what I'm talking about, but you hit the nail on the head. My son while trying to charge his tablet broke the little pins on the port that connect to the logic board because the connection was never tight and he had to wiggle it constantly to get it to charge. I wish these connections would have to click into place they're just to flimzy

I have the very same problem and dont know what to do. As I dont want to be without my samsung tab 3 If it has to go back to the shop. But I may not have anyother option.

Did you get it fixed ? If so where did you go to fix it and how much did it cost ?

What if you lost the receit and can't get the serial number

Uhh..get a safety pin or any type of sharp pin. The charger port that's broken, stick the pin in and slide around the outsides, and see if any dirt comes out. If any does, then thats the problem, and if any doesn't, then YA CAN'T FIX IT. If you wanted to fix it, you would have to pay alot, so its no point if with that money you can just buy A NEW ONE! Hope I helped, good luck.

hanna robinss, this is a micro USB not a barrel connector. I am not sure where you learned that trick. Quite a diagnostician...

OH, wow, what is a diagnostician, if I may ask?

a specialist or expert in making diagnoses

Oh, wow, just mind your own bussiness, and let me say what I WANNA say.

I wish I could but not when the information is erroneous and misleading.

get the shaking app to charge it

You can buy the micro usb charge port from ebay for about $6 and I have replaced and repaired about 27 tablets so far with a 100% working repair on all. I charge $45 and u pay shipping. Text me @ 2562027874

how could i get an app with no charge

Lol

A app cant do that

Yah an app can do that

Push try charger down

Yeah

I hope this helps. This link will show you how to repair the charger port !!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxpLYf16fc

It really does work

There's a lot of odd messages and some odd answers here too lol.

Although this is an old question, the answer is as relevant today as it was back then so here goes.....

Tablets come in all sorts of charging variations, they vary in the type of connection used, and the voltage they take. The actual socket to charge may be mini-USB, micro-USB, or a standard socket/pin type. The easiest to break are the socket/pin types. No matter what make of tablet those pins are rubbish - too small to be strong, and they are expected to be knocked all over the place while the tablets in use and charging. The USB types tend to be stronger, but again the micro-USB (as used on most mobile phones) as are again not very strong.

If your tablet charges off a socket/pin type, it can be 5volt up to 12volt to charge it, and if its charged using either of the USB types then it's a 5volt charge. But that's not connected with the initial question, so . . .

Some tablets (if you're very very lucky) will have both a socket/pin and a USB charging port - you'l only know this by testing it. Plug in a USB cable (most mobile chargers will do for this purpose - but they will charge v e r y slowly lol), and if it charges up then that's ok :-) If it doesn't then you most likely need to fit a new socket/pin inside it :-( Some tablets (its rare though) like the Acer Arconia A500, have the socket on a wire so it's really easy to solder in a new one :-)

Every design of tablet has its own way of being held together unfortunately, so it's not possible to explain each and every model, but it's worth mentioning that a well known video site has videos of most specific tablets, and also keep in mind to be very very carefull on taking them apart as the screens (both the touch panel and the actual digital display) are very very fragile and can crack with very little effort :-(

A simple way to test if your socket is broken is to turn off the tablet, and take a tiny stic (toothpicks are ideal for this) and VERY gently see if you can move the charging socket - this applies to both socket/pin or USB types. If it wobbles about, it's probably broken inside.

does not help

i have a rca android tablet and this might just work! but what mobile charger should i try? iphone?

I tried that an now the little silver thing comeing from tablet broke off on out side now I don't know what to do please can anyone help

Get a wireless charger

This is the only suggestion that actually makes sense. The socket/pin type is indeed very fragile, after a few months it's bound to break. The best solution is to use a standard USB connector to mini-USB connector and connect to your laptop or desktop USB port. Your tablet will recharge using this setup. Don't make matters worse by over analyzing the situation. Taking your tablet apart and fooling around with these very small connections will make matters worse or hose your tablet completely. Always try the simplest solutions first!

Take the tablet apart and strip the board down to the Motherboard if you have solder experience take the soldering iron , and go on-line a buy a "flux Soldering pen" they are 3.99 on ebay and also get some desoldering braid replace the dc jack you might have a weak joint or a bent pin

This to me seems logical. This kind of soldering is actually not too difficult with a couple practice runs on some other junk devices and a steady hand.

This is really only helpful to people that know what you are speaking about. Looking at most of these posts they are by very young people......and a few of us that understand but don't have luck opening things up and having them work after I close them. LOL.

PEOPLE HELLO!! BUY A %#*@ CHARGING PAD!!! No port required!

<---asapsis--->How long did it take for you to come up with your fix? My only hope some day you will need something and you get nothing but smart assed egotist that had nothing better than surf help sites and make ignorant little quips like your own.

I don't know how many comments I have seen saying "Get a Wireless Charger!" but too many when you consider A the models discussed are older or cheaper without Qi charging capability or B the model is just not mentioned. You can't just set any device on a charging pad and expect it to work

I was told that its not covered by the warranty.

That is BS! Acer has repaired (cough- cough) mine twice under warranty. The second repair is staring to fail. With all the electronics I have with charging ports, my Acer tab 10 is the only one that has been a pita.

I called a local computer sales/repair shop and he quoted me $90-$160 depending on the Acer 10 model, Since my gf bought me this 13 mths ago I asked if she had gotten an extended warranty and she did. It goes to Assurion on Monday.

I got my tablet back from Assuring and it's charging but the charger port was a bit loose when I got it back so it's only a matter of time before it fails again. The problem is poor design/engineering.

just buy a magnetic usb charging cable online ( google it/ebay/amazon) - where both ends are magnetic -meaning the port opening is magnetic( this piece is designed to stay in place and act like a dust plug) with piece one, and piece two closest to the plug is magnetic ,with both pieces snapping into place . It will fix loose port connections,but not broken ones.

This is a common problem you have to go buy a motherboard and repair the charger port I'm afraid to say it's not the charger

I get this problem quite often. I have a SMD/soldering station, but you can use a hair drier.

You need:

1. hot air source

2. new charger port

3. tweezers

Use tweezers to hold old port while you heat the solder points. Gently lift the old port until it lifts off the PBC board. Discard old port and pick up the new one with the tweezers the whole time keeping the area hot with the air. Set the new port on the board where the old one, was keeping the hot air on it. When it's ready to turn soft and pliable, anchor the port in the space. This process is known as "reflowing". It takes a few times to get better.

note: always have hot air moving, never still.

EVERYONE READ THIS!! from what I have gathered there are two ways in which this will have been caused. The first is some dirt or muck has got in to the charging. To fix this get a small needle or hair pin and try to clean it out. If this doesn't work it means it was caused by pushing in the charging cable too hard or the wrong way up, making the port it's self break. You will NOT be able to fix this. The best solution is to search into google "your tablet/phone name + charging port" for example: hudl 2 charging port. Now you can either go to a phone shop and ask them to put it in the tablet/phone or to sac money YouTube how to fit the port in your phone/tablet and go from there All the best of luck

I have a Allwinner Octa-Core 10.6" tablet with a socket/pin hookup. It gradually began to sag and eventually the pin inside broke off and my tablet would not charge. Fortunately for me this table has a USB micro port. I simply hooked a USB cable from my laptop to my tablet. Problem solved! My laptop has a always hot USB port just for this purpose, to charge your phone or tablet while the computer is off. This connector is more robust and I don't anticipate anymore problems with this issue. There is a remarkable amount of BS on how to solve this issue , don't believe it. The solution is very simple. If your tablet has a USB connector it can be recharged. Opening you table and trying some of the suggestions Iv'e read will hose your device for good or worse set your house on fire. Be careful where you get your advice!

I can't even with this thread..

I'm gonna keep this in simple English, avoid tech lingo (cause we're here to learn - not make a point), and I realize a lot of you had good/correct ideas but I feel like I didn't get an answer to OPs question because there were so many.

Please open your tablet first (please disconnect the battery before disconnected anything and try not to use metal tools on the contacts!)

Look at everything and if you notice anything that looks weird you should post back here so we can get the right help for you and anyone else having issues.

You might notice the port is connected to a smaller logic board

- if it is it'd be easy to just buy ~that~ part and replace it (yes I realize it doesn't sound cool and there are so many theoretical complications but I trust your judgement and think you'll do fine as long as you try your best!) but seriously don't get the wrong part and break it - please. If you need to see an example what I mean you can Google search a Galaxy S5 Charge Port with flex ("ible cable"), or look at how the Nexus 7 (2013) looks. Yes most of those types have other parts on them so you'll probably want to have a warranty of some sort. Also I have to say this - make sure you're not just buying the whole board (unless you want to) and match everything you can. Size, shape, color, carrier, model number, etc)

If not, please just be careful and if you haven't soldered anything before it might be best to not attempt it and visit someone who will repair it and warranty their work.

^^^And that's the answer - below is irrelevant unless you want to.

I'm not going into how to solder because I'm sure the information is out there, however if that's what someone wants I suppose I can. But make sure you have flux, a soldering iron, people have their own preferences on what solder to use (but there are a couple forums on iFixit about that exact question), low melt solder, a magnifying lens, and a steady grip. (it'd be nice to have an ESD mat too, just avoid building up static, you can touch a metal surface before touching the tablet, and if you can avoid working while standing on carpet.

Yes, this should sound like you gotta go through ~some~ trouble and if you don't work or live somewhere with these things available, it'll probably cost some money to get those things, and although anyone can learn to do this, I wouldn't recommend trying it on something you want to keep the first time you do, if you've soldered bigger things before, its a little different and each contact needs to not have solder touch the other ones. There are tricks to do it quickly and efficiently (ish). Also I have customers always ask me this and I understand but not every port is the same, I wish I could carry hundreds of a single port and it'd be the right one for every device but again check the model.

I'm assuming you want to fix the port and not jerry-rig it - a model number/name would help OP. Please comment if you have any concerns with this comment since I don't want to give anyone any bad info.

asheley will be eternally grateful.