A unibody aluminum generation of the Mac Mini identifiable by the model number A1347, spanning the Mid 2010 to the currently sold Late 2014 model.

Is the HDD bad?

When I inserted the DVD and found disc utilities, I selected the HDD but I couldn't select any options to repair etc. The weren't highlighted. It's like the HDD was there but it wasn't. Is the HDD bad?

Hello Todd,

What happens when you try and boot the computer normally? Black screen? White screen with Apple logo?

Is this your old drive or a new one?

You must BOOT FROM THE DVD and then Yes if Disk Utilities can not recognize your HD it's bad. However you can't repair an HD that you're running the OS from (like trying to fix a car motor while it's running). To boot from the DVD either open System Preferences and select it as the boot disk and restart or restart with the option key held down and choose the DVD as the boot disk.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Todd will be eternally grateful.