White Screen on power on

My Grandson dropped his Dell Inspiron pp41 laptop and now when he powers it on he only gets a white screen - sometimes with "static".

I wondering what the issue is and if its worth repairing.

Well he tried a Dell recommended test as follows:

1. Remove the battery and disconnect the power cord (from the laptop! not the wall outlet).

2. Press power button for a few second.

3. Connect the power cord. Press the power button to start and then dock the battery.

And all he goy was a blank screen. Does not see any bios info or anything. See linked image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27763692@N0...

Any repair will most likely be cheaper than a new one :) All a matter of economics, and it keeps things out of the landfill.

Any additional thought?

Try my original answer.

A white screen is usually indicative of a bad hard drive. Try disconnecting the drive and starting from your system installation disk to see if the issue persists.

David Springett, I just looked at your picture and it looks like something different than the HDD. It looks to me like it is either the LCD itself or the inverter/ cable connection may be broken/loose. the first thing I would try is to attach an external monitor. This will give you an idea if it is the GPU on the logic board. If it works with an external monitor, it will be time to disassemble the laptop and look for loose connections or obvious broken parts. The service manual will show you how to work on the laptop, it is available right here. Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks for the input. I'll have him connect and external monitor to check it out.

motherboard, the video chip is not working replace it and it will fix ur issue

David Springett will be eternally grateful.