Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

How many GaAs MMICs are there in iPhones?

Hello Gays:

I study environmental ingenieering and now I am writing my paper, it is about the recycling of gallium. So I want to know, how many ICs or power amplifiers based on GaAs are there in iphone 4, and what are they?

thank you very much!

Would the schematic help you to count them?

I know what you under "schematic" means:) do you have one?

I believe it's only one chip the cell transmitter/receiver unit made by Qualcomm which has a high frequency power amplifier (dual Ga/Si chip design) needed for cell and WiFi service iFixIt guide diagram. Other cellphones use the same basic design here and likewise use the same chip as Apple.

As the area within the chip that has the gallium arsenide or gallium nitride is so small I don't think you can extract the gallium or is much of a health risk.

Thank you very much, which Chip do you mean? Qualcomm RTR8605 Multi-band/mode RF Transceiver or the other side Qualcomm MDM6610?

PS: Do you know how many LEDs are there in the screen of iphone 4?

Sorry to say I don't know which chip for sure here. I suspect it's the RF Transceiver. Best to contact Qualcomm directly for more details. Maybe someone has taken a display apart that can answer your question on the LED's

Yunbo Li, the way I would proceed is as follows. Take the attached image, from here and take a look at the most vital IC's that are listed, they do not include the smaller ones, i.e. touch screen controller etc. Do a search on those manufacturers and numbers. On the once you do not get an exact match, you can at least use the class to get more information. Here for example, is the datasheet for the SKY77500 which is very similar to the Sky77541 used in the iPhone 4. I know it is tedious, but could be a rewarding process. BTW, there are no LED's in LCD's, those two are different all together. Hope this helps, good luck.

Yunbo Li will be eternally grateful.