1

Michael
23

How easy is it to break the glass?

Hi!

At your retina display disassembly the glass has broken.

Due to there is no frame or cover for the panel it's possible to bring the same forces to it as you did by "showing it the technican".

Now my question: What have you done exactly?

How easy is it to bring the destroying forces to the panel at daily use?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , Michael ( )

3

David Hodson

Hi Michael, great question. The reason we had such a hard time with the glass is because of how thin it is and how strong the adhesive holding it down was. Normal day-to-day usage of the laptop shouldn't be putting that type of stress on it, so there shouldn't be any reason to be worried. Apple's been doing this for a while, I don't think they would make a laptop with a glass that would break that easily with normal usage.

0

Will Adams
1

On the contrary. I closed my laptop and the thunderbolt connector for my monitor was sticking in slightly. I was barely applying pressure and before i even had any resistance i heard a crunch. I cracked the screen and its useless for about 2 inches on the left and 1 inch on the bottom of the screen. 1200 dollars to fix. Obviously user inflicted. I did however experience a dead pixel in the center of the screen before this all happened and there were small scratches that seemed to have come from the keyboard on the glass as well. Amazing laptop, incredibly delicate glass.

0

Titan
1

The 'Normal day-to-day' usage term is misleading in this case. You don't expect to have stone chips flying at your windshield everyday, but when it does, I'm sure you'd expect your windshield to protect you against it and not result in you ending up in a hospital for two weeks. And if that ever happened, you'd be sure to sue. No matter how fancy looking the car is.

0

Jon Ridley
865

The glass is designed to be flexed, and it also has a thin plastic coating on the inside of the panel to prevent shards of glass from pinging off.

I have seen a lot of different sorts of breaks, but they all tend to be either a sharp sudden motion (i.e. being dropped), or having something left on the top case when the display is closed.

The glass is held in by strong double sided adhesive, but it can be removed as a complete unit without any problems when you know how.

0

ken
1

with a little force cleaning the, 2013 13.3" MacBook pro retina I broke the glass screen and the glass intern caused the lcd unit to leak , it looks as though I punched it, not very good quality, ive had problems with safari crashing , downloads disappearing, I talked to several repairers and they no longer recommending some of the new macs, not exactly sure why.