3DS Repair

Nintendo handheld device released February 2011, identified by model number CTR-001.

How easy would it be to repair the 3DS charge port?

I am thinking of getting a 3DS for cheap (cheap because its 'charge port is bad'), but I was wondering just how easy or difficult it would be to repair it.

I have a soldering iron and decent soldering experience, but it'd still be nice to know if it even COULD be repaired before I try.

It's not always "the port" that's the problem.. Fuses and power chip is sometimes at fault.

by pollytintop

you know where it says 4.6=IN I put my charger in but it does not charge can someone help me with this problem... I do not know what is wrong...

by shane bryant

My 4.6=IN is broke watt should I do now?

by Quintyn Ayers

On my Nintendo 3DS.

by Quintyn Ayers

Kizul Emeraldfire , nothing is ever really easy:) take a look at this guide. Right around step 7 and 8 do you see the port clearly. It is soldered unto the logic board. So if you are pretty good with soldering small components onto a board, it should be a straight forward repair. The part is available from places like this. Not a bad price :) and absolutely doable. Hope this helps, good luck.

Mentioned Items

Hm... Would I *need* to get a replacement port component? I probably wouldn't if it was just broken solder (re-soldering it would be a cinch), but would something like that actually 'burn out'? o.O?

by Kizul Emeraldfire

It would not burn out, but it is possible that the contacts are bend from pulling the plug sideways to often or the contacts on the logic board may have cracked and not making proper connection with the logic board. The only way to know that, is by looking at it and may be checking with a multimeter.

by oldturkey03

I see — thank you very much! You've been most helpful :)

by Kizul Emeraldfire

What if the part actually broke off

by Baily Ford

Umm... how would you go around repairing/changing out the 3DS charge port in the first place? Mine recently got bent out of shape (kind of literally) so...

Just like the original answer said, disassemble it, desolder the old one and resolder a new one:-) It is really not that bad:-)

by oldturkey03

But I don't know how to do that.

by Sera

Is there anybody that can do it for you? Do you have the tools, or can you get them? Can you practice on some old boards?

by oldturkey03

Sera, you should look up and research the skill of soldering. In basically, you use a iron rod that's heated up to melt solder, a tin and lead alloy (sometimes copper replacing the lead), and connect electronic components with it, like wires. You should probably make a question here on ifixit and get some help from people like oldturkey here.

by Thorhian

What can you do if the gummy part is missing ?

Watt gummy part?

by Quintyn Ayers

My 4.6=IN is broken on my 3DS. What should we do about my 3DS?

Kizul Emeraldfire will be eternally grateful.