Backlight Not Working, Possibly From Humidity

I recently traded in my Ipod Nano 1st generation for a 6th generation one through Apple. It worked great for a few weeks, no problems. But one day the backlight randomly quit working. I can still see the menu items and such on the screen, and everything works fine EXCEPT FOR THE BACKLIGHT. I have to have it under a very bright light at just the right angle to be able to see anything that's on the screen. I tried taking the screen off and disconnecting the cables and putting everything back together, but to no avail. Still no backlight. I also tried putting it in a bag of rice for about a month, because I had taken the Ipod into the bathroom with me when I showered once and left it on the counter, I believe it got some humidity damage. Inside the headphone jack the circle that says if it was damaged by water is half orange half white, indicating it does have water damage. Is my only solution to replace the entire screen? I don't really have $70 laying around...any help is appreciated.

This is a likely a bad screen. The first thing to try is a new screen. The guide can be found here: iPod Nano 6th Generation Front Panel Assembly Replacement

If this doesn't work, it's going to be caused a bad board. I would suggest trying to find a known good used one, rather then try to repair the board. It's going to be a lot more cost effective to do it this way as well. If you do opt for a board repair, you are going to need to find a schematic. This is likely going to be difficult, since Apple is more then happy to use the DMCA to keep this information off of the Internet. If you find one, it's likely coming from a country with no DMCA equivalent.

It is also very likely you will have to pay for the schematic, even if it comes from a shady site. I would not recommend this, especially if the site selling it is not one you would want to trust ever again.

If it's a bad board, here is the guide to replace it as well: iPod Nano 6th Generation Logic Board Assembly Replacement

iPod Nano 6th Generation Front Panel Assembly Image

Guide

iPod Nano 6th Generation Front Panel Assembly Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate35 minutes - 1 hour

So if I replace the screen the backlight still won't work?

Most Helpful Answer

Same thing happened to my 5thGen Nano.

But guess what it wasn't the humidity.

IT WAS THE LACK OF HUMIDITY

The screen was just the way you described.

And I had been using it that way for about a month

THEN - I laid it on the edge of the tub one evening during my bath.

I forgot about it and retrieved it the next day.

There was a bit of moisture underneath, not inside.

AND THE SCREEN WORKED!

It's winter here, and humidity runs about 20%

After a while, the screen stopped working again.

So I simply blew gently my moist breath into the connector hole.

For about a minuite - and VOLIA! It works!

Who knew! You do now!

It worked for me thanks!!!

I cannot bloody believe it. I've had my iPod 6th gen for about 4 years. The backlight stopped working so I threw it in a draw and there it stayed until today!

We were clearing out the drawer and I thought I'd try to mend it. Well came across the information to blow moisture Into the connectors, pressed the screen on and off for a few mins and then guess what.... The flipping screen works! I am gob smacked!!!! Wicked wicked wicked advice! Thank you!!! :) :) :) :)

Alex Johnston will be eternally grateful.