Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

After water damage, phone keeps turning off

So, I dropped my iPhone 4 in coke about two months ago. After I dropped it, I got it out quickly then made a phone call shortly after. Phone turned off, then the next day after it wouldnt turn back on, I unscrewed the back and left it in rice for a few weeks.

When I took it out of rice, it would only bring up the apple logo then cut off.

Then, it would start up as long as it was plugged in, then turn off.

Now it works completely, but after about five minutes of working, it cuts off and restarts. Is this a batterey problem, or what can I do? :(

i dropped my iphone 6 in the hottub and it had my life proof case on but it faild to work. my phone works but it keeps turning on and off an shutting off to go back to the home screen or the apple logo. I left it in rice all night idk what to do ?

My phone keeps crashing every now and then after I dropped it in a puddle not sure what it could be…help

It seems the problem was caused by applying power to the device without fully removing the liquid from inside it. The rice is a decent trick with minor or external water damage, but will not always get every little droplet out of the power circuit.

Typically, power failures after a certain amount of time are a result of overheating (there are apps to monitor heat) but could also be electrical problems due to a short or open connection the liquid might temporarily caused.

Take a look at this page:

Electronics Water Damage

Perhaps try a thirsty bag, or even opening the phone and giving the motherboard a good inspection/cleaning. Again I'd like to point out the problem most likely was caused by turning the device on before properly drying out the phone. Good luck, I hope a good cleaning solves your problem!

Hi @jose77cccf ,

As you know water and electronics and electricity are not a good mix.

The water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components.

First do not turn on your phone and then you need to with the phone turned off, remove the battery as soon as possible from the phone to minimize further damage.''

Then you need to dis-assemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ (available at most pharmacies) to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is only 70-80% IPA or less, can contain scents and other ingredients which may leave residues and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amount of IPA Here are a couple of links that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit guide(s) for repairing your phone. (if you have an iPhone 4 that is)

iPhone 4 Repair

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional phone repair service, experienced in water damage repair and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

Casey will be eternally grateful.