MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011

Model A1286. Released February 2011 / 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Sleep LED no more working

Unfortunately, a glass of wine fell down on my mac.

I absorbed the maximum of wine I could with paper towel.

After half an hour I started the mac successfully.

I did a cleaning of the inside with the help of logic board replacement guide, some alcohol and a tooth brush.

No wine on the logic board, but some in the case and on the battery indicator connector (step 21).

Except the sleep LED, everything works fine

Do you think the battery indicator connector is involved (and replaceable) ? Or did i miss to reconnect another part (like the hard drive/IR sensor cable step 16) ?

Thank you

I already dissembled a lot of PCs, a MBP15''core duo, and welded capacitors in a time capsule successfully

The LED will be a tough find, post a picture so we know which one you need

The LED is part of the unibody on the computer, if you want to fix it, you need to replace the unibody

One thing you can try is take the computer apart and see about cleaning the connectors in the unibody itself, I highly doubt the LED is replaceable even if the part is remotely findable

You can take it apart and try cleaning the connectors that connect to the logicboard, but this is a last attempt fix

If that fails, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the effort to bother replacing the whole unibody for the LED to work

If you do think it's worth it, here is the part

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Early 2011 through Mid 2012) Upper Case

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Upper Case Replacement

My opinion is it's not worth it, it does not affect the mac in a major way, so why worry about it?

OK, you'll loose a little value when selling it because of the LED failing, but not moe them a few bucks

The liquid damage is another story tough, you have lost a good bit of value on the fact it had a drink spilled on it

The reason liquid damaged, but cleaned used ones that work loose a lot of value is they are ticking time bombs after liquid spills on them, and can fail at any time, which is one reason I avoid these machines unless I can get them for a fair price no matter if they were cleaned or not

Now that you link the individual part, it might be worth a try, but you have to consider the value of how much you want the LED working, the IR portion probably works just fine and the LED is just shot

If you decide you want it and try this fix and it fails, you'll probably need a logicboard to correct it, and it will simply be best to live with it due to the cost of a logicboard

Mentioned Items

Thank you for the link to the upper case guide. I saw the step 29 showing how to put off the hard drive/IR sensor cable. The LED is on this cable. On the unibody, there's only a window. I tried to clean up the connector unsuccessfully. I found the cable in part and tools : MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Early 2011/Late 2011) Hard Drive Cable I am wondering about changing it If it doesn't work, that's mean the connector on the logic board is dead

by Pascal

In that case, you may just want to try it at that price, however, there simply is no guarantee this is the fix, it could be a logicboard failure if this does not work, in that case, I would just live without the light for standby

by Nick

Pascal will be eternally grateful.