Repair guides and support for external portable storage by Western Digital including the My Book series, My Passport and others.

Western Digital Elements External HD doesn't show connected on PC?

When I connect the external hard drive to the USB drive on the computer the drive doesn't show up. I heard this could be a platter that has gone bad. Is there any thing I could do to fix this problem or get the data off of the external hard drive?

Have you tried another computer and/or another USB port? this could be caused by plenty of other issues as well, i.e. bad wiring, bad connection, failed circuit board as well as a failed drive. Data recovery can be expensive and is not easy to do for the DIY'er. So look for the things that could be done by you.

Joel, try to connect the HDD to another computer. Also check under disk management to see if your external drive shows there. Also make sure that the drive has a drive letter assigned to it. Go into disk management and check if your drive shows there. If it shows but it does not show a drive letter, make sure you give it one. Also, try to connect the drive to a USB port in the back of the computer, avoid using a USB hub. You can also try uninstalling the usb driver and once you restart the computer, the drivers should get reinstalled by the operating system. After that reconnect your drive. Furthermore, make sure that the cable is in good working order. Try to either use a different cable on your drive, or check the cable by connecting it to a different device. Hope this helps, good luck.

This solution worked for me:, pretty much what Oldturkey said.

Computer Management, Disk Management,

Right click the (Healthy) Primary Partition - of the size of hdd without drive letter,

Select "Change drive letter and paths..."

Add...

I had a Toshiba hdd from a friend that wouldn't even initialize so couldn't add a drive letter, I ended up very pleasingly pulling it apart and smashing it to bits before throwing it in the trash, very disappointed it didn't have the massive magnet in it that the old hard drives used to have. (Bought the friend a new hdd double the size to compensate - was told there was nothing on it anyway)

but.....after doing this work..... it doesnt when it reconnect

Joel will be eternally grateful.