Model A1059 or A1099 / 20, 40, or 60 GB hard drive / touch sensitive click wheel

shows a sad face when turned on

my ipod 20 gb old version shows a sad face when turned on

yea it was clicking

cheryl, when you say your "old version", which iPod are we talking about? Is it the iPod 4th gen or iPod photo? What have you tried so far? Has anything happen to is? Is it your iPod and do you have the computer you synced it with before?

i bought it off the internet broken ( didnt read the fine print ) so i do not have it synced to my itunes and its a white with black and white screen 20 gb..sorry i do not know what generation it is

cheryl, from your brief description it appears to be a 4th gen ipod. I changed the device and see if the picture on the top right looks like your iPod. The "sad face" icon most often appears when the hard drive is not functioning. the first thing I'd try is to place it in diagnostics mode and see what errors you get. Here are some great instructions. If it appears as if your hard drive is the problem, you can get an adapter that will allow you to use your hard drive as an external USB drive. I use something like this. That way you can see if your hard drive is still responsive. The guide for the hard drive repair is right here. Not a bad job, and works pretty quick if you follow the guide.

Also, remember that this model iPod needs a Firewire connection to restore. USB will not restore it. Let us know what works and if we can help you any further. Good Luck.

cheryl will be eternally grateful.