Speaker doesn't work and the touch screen is kinda messed up?

I replaced the screen of the ipod touch for a friend. Never done a fourth gen till now and nothing but problems. Since the screen didnt fit perfectly, somebody on here suggested i use superglue. I made sure everything worked perfectly, then super glued it. Now, the speaker wont put out any sound. I can still change the volume of it, but the sound won't come out. The headphones work fine. Also, with the top half of the digitizer, swiping (ex. left to right) works fine, however, if i tap (ex. to open an app) it wont work. I am losing my mind with this!

The question to ask is how much superglue did you use?

Superglue was such a dumb choice, i don't know where to start in the complaint department or how to help you out, but I will give it a shot

If you did not use a whole lot, you might be able to remove the digitizer clean enough and not have to crack it too badly,but if you used a fair but, this will be a task to remove it, but if you glued the top and sides on, you may be out of luck removing the glass

If you were able to remove it enough to remove the metal shield from the iPod entirely, replace it with one from a parts unit, as long as the home button works, you are golden on the parts unit

One trick you can try is picking at it or sanding it down to get it flat, or at least flat enoug when you remove the metal shield, wear safety goggles in case glass flies, I learned this the hard way doing a iPod and did not have anything happen to me(well, except a minor scratch on my desk)

Check the speaker connection in the iPod now, if it's ripped, you might as well tell her the speaker is shot because you need SERIOUS soldering skills unless you can pull off the soldering or know someone who can pull off this soldering dealing with lead free solder

After checking the connector and replacing the RF shield, here is a new digitizer with the adhesive you need

iPod Touch (4th Gen) Display Assembly

iPod Touch 4th Generation Front Panel Replacement

iPod Touch (4th Gen) Adhesive Strips

okay, screen was defective...but when i removed it, the stupid digitizer cable broke. i was so careful that the lcd cable stayed plugged in, but the somewhat longer digitizer cable snapped clean in half. idek anymore. but the speaker has snapped cables. luckily i didnt use much superglue...just enough to keep the screen on. adhesive wouldve probably been even stronger lol. so i'm going to order a new screen. i have another friend that does this all the time so im going to use his seller from amazon. could anybody point me in the direction of teh right adhesive strips? amazon seems to only have the generic ones for all generations...im only looking to spend a few bucks on those please

thank you everyone for your help!!

iFixit sells the tape here

did you get the glass picked off clean enough? If not, you will need to replace the home button/RF shield too, these are one piece

you can pick and sand at the glass that is left, carefully pick with a plastic pry tool or small flathead screwdriver carefully and sand the rest if you need with sandpaper

Most Helpful Answer

NEVER use super glue. Who told you to do that? Seriously...

Sounds like you probably ripped the speaker cable. It is very easy to do on these model iPods during a screen repair. Also, it sounds like you probably have a defective screen. I would contact whoever you got the screen from and let them know you have a defective screen and see if they will send a new one

+ good answer, I just edited the profanity ;-) No name calling amongst professionals ;-)

IF they do, it will probably crack

who told you to use superglue?

yes you are right i did rip the speaker cable....both actually :/ i wish i knew who told me to use superglue so i could go give them a piece of my mind...but unfortunately, idr who he was

If you did, I would have straightened him out too, that was such a dumb suggestion for him to tell you, for real? anyone who even had the slightest hint would tell him that he's way wrong too

Matthew Goldstein will be eternally grateful.