What to do when I can't boot?
I have a MBP 17" A1261 (Early 2008) that is failing to boot. I took it to the Apple store in Atlanta and they told me I needed a new logic board. They said it was failing the POST test. I want a second opinion on my problem.
Here are my symptoms:
- On Power button press:
- Latch light comes on and remains lit.
- Fans, Optical drive, Hard Disk all spin up.
- No system chime or image on screen.
- On Power button press and hold:
- Same as above except: Latch LED constant for 2-3 seconds and then blinks 5-10 times and then goes out.
- One other thing that I noticed, when pressing power button and closing lid after a moment, it will make the latch LED shine brighter until opened.
*Between 1st crash and subsequent ones, I did get it to do a clean install of the OS. It seemed to be fine after but then, I logged into the account that I had used before the install after a restore but after shut down, no ability to restart.
I've done all the things that the Apple KB says to do about resetting PRAM, SMC, Etc. It will not boot from CD or in target mode as far as I know. I've power cycled it many times, with and without battery and from full charge to nothing.
Just before the crash, it was on battery power and ran it down to nothing.
Is this a good question?