The first model of iPhone, Model A1203 with 4, 8, or 16 GB capacity and an aluminum back. Repair requires a significant amount of prying, and may require some soldering.

iPhone will only charge from a firewire charger

My 1st Gen iPhone stopped syncing with my computer and stopped charging off USB chargers. I will only charge off an old Firewire Charger I had from a previous iPod. What would likely have to be replaced?

Sounds like your dock connector has gone bad. The connector has 30 pins, as you are probably well aware. Some pins are for USB, some are for FireWire. It would seem that the USB pins have shorted or broken in some way. Have you tried cleaning the dock connector?

What is the recommended way to clean it and does anyone know which pins are the usb ones?

Pins 16, 23, 25 and 27 are the USB pins. However, it's pretty difficult to tell with such small connector which are which.

A good cleaning method is using a small toothbrush. If the pins are really corroded, then the connection might be shot completely. It's worth a try, though.

As Mayer said, have you tried replacing the cable?

The toothbrush didn't quit do the trick, but It showed me that there was some lint farther in. I got a small hook and cleaned out the thing then did the toothbrush thing. I had cleaned it before, but did not notice / think their would be lint shoved farther up. It looks like it wasn't getting a good seating on the USB pins. thanks.

Glad to hear it's working again!

I'd replace the obvious, the USB cable. Here's where to get one: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhon...

I have 4 cables and another iPod so I made sure it wasn't the cable. Thanks for the link though.

Matthew McCowan will be eternally grateful.